Sign in to follow this  
Xplorer

FMCA Forum - Just Curious

I'm just curious as to why the FMCA Forum doesn't have more participation?

The forum seems to function as well as the other RV Forums. The topics are sufficient, seems like there would be more interest specifically for Motorhomer(s).

Personally, I just "found" the forums a few days ago and have assumed it to be a relatively new feature on the redesigned website. Perhaps it has been here and I stumbled across it. Maybe naming the forum section "community" did not catch my eye in the past, but I agree, I really like the format of this forum.

On Edit: I just looked at the forum statistics and saw that a couple of the top 20 posters in the past month have as few posts on the board as we have posted. I also saw that the earliest member joined of those top 20 was mid October of '08 so I guess the forum is just starting to gain momentum.

BTW, it's nice to see you again Xplorer! We parked across the street from you in Summerdale, AL back in September '07 and I'm sure your coach still shines better than new.

Hello Ed,

Wow, what a memory you have, thanks for remembering. I recall the HR across from us, but sure could not give you the same details.

I recently found this forum as you know. Like you I sure like the format as well. I also like that it is a Motorhome specific forum; not that the other RV forums aren't interesting... My assumption is that most of the info here will be more MH specific. Although, I have gained a lot of information from a couple of the other RV forums as well, and will continue to access them.

Hope all is well with you and yours. When we cross tire tracks again, maybe we can share a howdy and a glass of squeezed grapes.

Happy and Safe Travels for many miles.

John

The forums are indeed part of FMCA.com's redesigned Web site. The new site was launched only in late January, so our forums barely have had time to tap into the knowledge and enthusiasm shared by FMCA members everywhere.

Information exchange has been a core principle of FMCA membership since the association was founded in 1963. FMCA members' combined motorhoming knowledge and motorhoming experiences are immeasurable. That makes FMCA.com Community a valuable way to "meet" and interact with other members, and enhance the motorhome lifestyle for everyone.

To all of the FMCA members, and non-members, who have helped to get the FMCA.com Community off to a running start, thank you. And keep it rolling ...

At least you stirred up some comments. I have been on the site for a while and kind of gave up as so few people are on line. You have a great profile page and comment page-don't know how you get the motion(ie:flags waving). I had written a couple of blogs but only had one response to them.Will be visiting TX,AZ,NM in 2010. See you have car dolly-I am using one first time as my Caliber is not flat towed compatible.

Ipfdon,

Thanks for the comments,,,, I have been playing around with the site for the last couple days off and on, and I sure like the way it functions and all the toys available.

I haven't figured out how to delete individual pictures from the photo album.. Also, some functions don't seem to be working correctly, such as deleting an album, replacing profile pictures.

But overall, I think FMCA may be on to something with the new site.

If you want to download any of the waving flags, you should be able to right click on the flag, then save picture at a file of your choosing on your computer. I don't know of any copyrights on them, so they are public.

I used the tow dolly with my Sentra, but went to a Jeep when we quit fulltiming for a little more room and comfort. The dolly worked great for us. It was easy to handle, and never had a major problem with it.

Good luck with your western trip next year, you will really enjoy those states. So much to see and do.

Not sure how long you plan to be on the road, but there is a lot of history in so many small western towns, laid back, usually less expensive than major city sites. Also, many unknown and known historical events, items in man;y of the small town museums.

Safe Travels

Also, fyi, the moderator indicated that there is an article coming out in the March FMCA magazine about the Forum, which should create more interest and activity.

I started to mention it on some other forums, but after reading their rules, etc, chose not to violate their guidelines. I didn't think it was appropriate to add a signature link, etc. IMHO, this site is very easy to use, a lot of extra funtions, I think it will take off on it's own, and by the end of this year, I bet there will be a lot of activity. I plan on using it frequently. as I am looking for specific common interests in motorhomes, towing, etc. I just think this site will be a great addition to FMCA. It has already caused me to get more interested in the organization and who other members are, etc.

Guest Wayne77590

I am also looking to use the forum. I check it every day, sometimes twice a day to see if there is anything new. I see where there are some posts that have not been answered, yet the question is very good. My membership number is in the 400k range. I can only imagine the wealth of information that is out there to be shared. I am very surprised when questions go unanswered. I consider myself a newbie to MH'ing it, but not to camping, so I want to learn and one way to do that is to listen to what others have to say, and supply knowledge that I may have.

I hope you are right and the forum gets more interest from those with more knowledge than I have, which will not be hard to have.

Great to see this activity too.. We have just returned to the rv world.. had a truck camper years ago, just purchased a Winnie Sightseer,gas, here in Fl, going to bring back to Cape Cod in March.. look forward to learning from others!!

Great to see this activity too.. We have just returned to the rv world.. had a truck camper years ago, just purchased a Winnie Sightseer,gas, here in Fl, going to bring back to Cape Cod in March.. look forward to learning from others!!

Congrats on the new MH, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Isn't March a little early to head to Chusetts,,,,,,,Brrrrrrrrr!

just mho, I think this site has the potential to be a valuable exchange of info for motorhomers.

Wayne,

Semper Fi (65-79)

I think, mho, sometimes when questions go unanswered is because those seeing it may not know the answer. I am reluctant to shoot from the hip, if I don't know,,,,because I don't think a WAG will necessarily help. Sometimes the topic may not generate interest. Not sure, but I have found that most questions on forums will get at least one answer, and, again, just mho, I think folks want to and will help others if they can.

I also think the site will get more active as time goes on,,,,,I hope until then folks don't get discouraged by not getting an answer or feeling that they were ignored. Also, I think that folks that find this site also post on other sites as well to get a variety of opinions, responses.

Safe Travels

Guest Wayne77590

Xplorer,

I'm with you on not shooting from the hip. Sometimes I forget, but most times I know, and/or will research the subject and post the links. A lot of times there are items that can be taken care of if people would share their experiences.

Example: On a 5th wheel we had, there was a wet floor under the drawers between the Stove/oven and refrigerator. At first thought one would assume that there was a leak coming from the drain of the refrigerator. That was not the case, and could possibly happen to a Coach. On the outside there is one or two vents for the refrigerator. The one on the bottom, of if there is only one, is access to the mechanics of the pilot light and gas systems. It seems that when they install that vent cover, they dog down the frame at the bottom and it causes a backward slop into the area. The water will then seep into the cabin at whatever is the easiest point of entry. The fix was to remove the 3 screws on the bottom and the first one going up the side, cut a 1/2 inch aluminum angle iron to the length of the opening, place on edge under the frame, silicone caulk the screws holes and re-attache the screws. Then silicone the entire length of the angle iron and build a silicone dam on each end. I did that to the bottom and upper vent covers and each took about 15 minutes. No more leak.

Now I hope this has helped and I hope that others that have had problems will jump in and give their fixes.

And:

Semper Fi!

Interesting Fix.

Fortunately, or unfortunately seems over the years most of our RV problems have been mechanical.,,,,fuel pumps, fuel pumps, fuel pumps, and a couple tires.

We have had good luck with the RV's we have owned.

I have always been serious about PM,,,,it has paid, imho. Most things we have done involve personal comfort items, preferences.

The day/night shades are nice in theory, bu DW has a strong dislike for opening and closing them,,,,so when they break, they get replaced with the trusty ole blinds.

It is interesting reading what others do with their MH, towing, places, etc...etc.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm really surprised that others have not joined in and given comments on the new forum and posts that have been on-going. I would hope there would be a lot to share.

COME ON FMCA MEMBERS - JOIN IN.

Xplorer,

We have the single shade pull down, but DW really wants the Day/Night shades, and I do also. It may be our next upgrade. Camping Wolrd has them and they are really not that expensive. Also, the tension can be adjusted that makes it easier for the DW's to move the up or down.

Don't think it's widely known yet.

There is suppose to be an article coming out in the next issue of FMCA mag,,,,about the fourm.

I hope it catches on as well, and I think it will as time goes on.

Until then, there's some friendly folks here.

When the day/night shade string breaks,,,,out they go and they get replaced with the old fashioned blinds. The d/n shades on our previous MH lasted 5 years before the strings started breaking....2 years on the current MH,,,,,,only one has broken so far,,,but I know its only a matter of time.

Guest Wayne77590

I would either send them out to be repaired, or repair them myself (yeah right), but there are several articles on how to repair them on other forums, and web page posts.

I wonder why the March issue will bring people out of the woodwork? There was an email that went out with a link to this new web site. There are now over 900 registered members and only a dozen or so who have posted anything.

Hello Connie Pool!!!! We were at the NAS Shields two christmas' ago and we chatted a little. You were parked only a few spaced down from us. We had the Husky/Chow named Miya. Drop in on the forum and say hello.

Ah! The challenge!

I challenge all those who are FMCA members to stop in one time, register and say hello. You don't ever have to post again unless you wish to.

I don't think it will neccessarily bring folks out of the woodwork,,,,but advertising must work somewhere......It should generate a little more interest,,,awareness.

Most of the forums I have seen,,,,seem to have little participation,,,,compared to folks that view posts.

Anyway,,,I can always find something interesting to read,,,I like this forum, because it is class A specific.

Our repair solution as indicated is the Dumpster,,,,repalce with reliable blinds.,,,,never had to repair a blind string.

Thats why they make different products,,,,,for different folks.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm curious.

Do the blinds rattle going down the highway?

Edited: Absolutely different products for different folks. If I post a product or information on any product, or what I may have done to my coach, is by no means inferring that others have to, or should, do it. It is either something that has worked for me, others, or may be another approach to a similar problem(s).

There is one problem with the written word. One cannot see the facial expressions, or hear the tonal inflections in the voice to understand that there may be humor in the written word. Not that you have indicated any displeasure in my postings, but to let others know who may read the forum what my intentions are. I also try not to be harsh in reading other posts but to accept it as a humble opinion.

Anyhow, do the blinds rattle!!!!

It's funny, all the windows had the D/N shades, except the Kitchen window had a blind.

We put the clips at the bottom, and I haven't noticed any difference in noise level. I can't stand rattling either, anyway, hasn't been a problem for me.

Tha'ts why there are choices,,,,,different strokes and all that. That's why we have the workhorse, drove the ford, same model, etc,,,,just enjoyed driving the workhorse more.

You're right about possibly reading into things,,,,I just write what I think,,,,jmho on things, and accept what others say in the same manner,,,,etc.

Anyway,,,,,well said Wayne. I just enjoy exchanging info, and reading other opinions. If I only wanted one opinion, ,,,,,I guess I could send myself an email everyday,,,,,,LOL....come to think of it.....!!!!,just joking.

I have seen on some forums,,,,folks sure can get testy.....I move on,,,,this is supposed to be fun..,,,,

As far as the shades, there are many folks that sure love em.,,,that's fine......if everyone liked the same things,,,,we would all be driving Cheeeevy's,,,LOL

I'm not sure what to make of the one comment,,,,I have been following your posts, as you know,,,,seems like we mostly been talkn to each other,,,,I haven't seen anything that sends up any flags,,,,to me....

I really enjoy this forum,,,,,maybe eventually there will be more folks sharing their experiences....I think Ipfdon is on the road for a week or so,,,,

Anyway,,,,have a good one,

SemperFi

Guest Wayne77590

My comment was generalization only and not intended for anyone.

I probably need to put a "Just My Humble Opinion" on the signature line, but then I guess I expect everyone to be just voicing an opinion and I take it that way.

Yes, we seem to be the only ones conversing on this forum. I was hoping to stir up some more participation. It's a shame to let a good site like this got to waste with two people! :-)

Guest Wayne77590

My comment was generalization only and not intended for anyone.

I probably need to put a "Just My Humble Opinion" on the signature line, but then I guess I expect everyone to be just voicing an opinion and I take it that way.

Yes, we seem to be the only ones conversing on this forum. I was hoping to stir up some more participation. It's a shame to let a good site like this got to waste with two people! :-)

With just the 2 of us,,,,oughtta be easy.,,,,as Marines,,,,we should at least be able to agree on 99.9% of everything.,,,LOL.

Have to save that .1%, just to keep things interesting.

Don't know about you,,,,,but I sure do appreciate all those rides those Sailors provided,,,,so we could visit far off distant places,,,,,,meet interesting people,,,,,,and, and, and,,,,oh yea!,,, Win their Hearts and Minds!!!! :rolleyes: That's for the PC crowd,,,,,

Anyway,,,not much value in this post.

Safe Travels

Guest Wayne77590

This has tons of value.

Did you know that the Marine Corps is a Department of the navy?

It's called the Men's Department.

Let's see if that brings anyone out.

By the way navy personnell, I spent two years, as a Marine, on the USS Eldorado (AGC-11) 1962-1964, which is more time than some sailors put aboard ship - so there.

Guest Wayne77590

I must say that over the centuries there has been inter-service rivalry, but when the chips are down, we all stand back-to-back defending each other.

So to all who have served, Thank You!

My oldest son went in the Navy,,,but he was the one I dropped on his head when he was a baby.

Had sons in the Marines,,,,and currently have 3 sons in the Army,,,,,so I can have fun with all the military services.........

I think their mom dropped them when they were mere babes.

It's all in fun,,,,,when the manure hits the fan,,,,,,,welllllllll,,,those boat rides still come in handy.

Semper Fi to all, and to all Semper Fi.

Guest Wayne77590

We need a "Veteran's" section.

Hey Xplorer, you know what ARMY acronym stand for, right?

"Ain't Really Marine Yet"

We can't seem to get the sailors in here, maybe the army will jump in.

Guest Wayne77590

In all fairness though, do you know what the navy has the Marines, and the army has the mules?

The army had first choice.