NPavone

Towing 2011 Jeep Wrangler

I am planning on flat-towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. I have heard that it is not necessary to disconnect the battery as it states in the manual. I will be using a BrakeMaster supplemental brake system. Has anyone towed without disconnecting the battery? I would be interested in hearing how others are towing their Jeep Wrangler.

I tow a 2008 Jeep Wrangler with a battery disconnect key, do not have a braking system. If you have power windows and other electrical extras you will need to disconnected the battery if you plan on towing over a period of time. If not your battery will die. This happen to me-- had someone jump me off. If you do not have power from the battery you will not be able to transfer jeep back into driving mode.

You can find the disconnect switch at most auto parts, very simple the local truck supply installed mine. Lot of farmers in the area install them as a anti-thief device. The red key is turned off, removed and placed in a safe place, make sure it comes with two keys.

I have a friend who has a brake system and ran power from his motorhome.

I am planning on flat-towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. I have heard that it is not necessary to disconnect the battery as it states in the manual. I will be using a BrakeMaster supplemental brake system. Has anyone towed without disconnecting the battery? I would be interested in hearing how others are towing their Jeep Wrangler.

Welcome to the Forum. Your Jeep Wrangler weighs 3,740 lbs as per the towing guide. A braking system is required in most states for that weight. You didn't say what kind of MH you have. You will need to have your Steering wheel unlocked to tow. and if you are set on using the BrakeMaster unit you will need power to your unit. However when you have the power on your mileage will rack up just like your were driving it. Might I suggest that you have a 12 volt source (your MH) connected to your Jeep straight to a aux. (Cig. lighter) receptical, fused of course. This will supply you with power and not drain your Jeep's battery. Then I would go to a mechanic and have them remove the steering wheel locking pin so you won't have to turn on your key. By doing this you can remove your key, lock the doors and feel secure that someone will not try to steal your Jeep at WalMart. :)

I tow a 2007 Wrangler using a (Ready brake system)--no 12 volt required. I do disconnect the battery. I had a set of new keys cut at Walmart but without the chip so it works for the doors etc, but you can't start the engine for more than 5 seconds without the engine cutting out but it works for the steering lock.

I tow a 2011 jeep wrangler and you do not need to disconnect the battery. I have a brake system in my jeep and use the plug in the console. This outlet is powered with the key off. The one on the dash is not. With the 2011 jeep you do not need to turn the key to on or accessory as the 2011 wrangler does not have a steering wheel lock. My longest tow was for about 4 hours and no problem starting the jeep upon arrival.

So....I don't understand something. In regards to a "powered" braking system, there's a lot of reference to running off the battery of the dingy, potential battery drain....having to run the dingy every few hours so the battery doesn't run down, etc. My question is, normal RV connectors are 6 way....right? One of those wires is an aux power line. Why not just string that through to the dingy installing a 6 way connector on the dingy instead of the 4 way that they normally install. I'm going through this dilemma right now as my Wrangler is being wired today. I told the guy to not put the 4 way on but to use the 6 way so I can make use of the aux power when I decide on the braking system. Let me know any thoughts on this or if I'm missing something??? Haven't decided on the braking system. Want something VERY quick and easy. Any suggestions are welcome. Looking at the Invisibrake among other similar devices.

Thanks!!

Tom

30' Sunseeker

2006 Rubicon

Tom,

Running a positive and extra ground directly from coach to toad battery is a very common and reasonable practice.

A couple of caveats:

1. Make sure both coach and toad batteries have a fuse as close to the batteries as possible as both ends are hot and if grounded and unfused, could cause a fire.

2. Set up the coach charge wire on a circuit only hot when the coach engine is running so it will not discharge the coach battery when dry camping. If more convenient/an ignition controlled circuit of sufficient amperage is not available, use an ignition hot circuit to control a relay with the main current (large lug) of the relay going directly to the battery (fused of course).

No sure there is any one ideal brake system out there-- that is why some companies offer more than one type of brake. If you don't intend to change vehicles often and don't want to fool with moving and setting up a portable brake system, the Invibrake should fit your needs. It is permanently installed out of the way, with nothing to do to have the vehicle tow-ready. It has both vacuum to operate the toad's brake booster and a high pressure ram that activates the toad's brake pedal through a cable (so the ram can be located out of the way).

I tow a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon. Your 2011 is basically the same vehicle, with a different engine and transmission. I have towed it for 5 days in a row without disconnecting or starting the engine. You do not have to disconnect the battery or leave the key in the ignition. There is no steering wheel lock on this vehicle. The owners manual for the 11 and 12 models is incorrect, although they won't admit it. I use a Brake Buddy for supplemental braking. My Jeep has a 12 V plug in the center console which is always on (not key controlled) which I plug it into. (Also a 115V inverter plug!) No drain down problems with the battery.