Sign in to follow this  
johnnyringo

First Time Towing - CR-V

We're very new to RVing. We bought a 2004 Tiffin Phaeton 40RH with a 330 Caterpillar engine. Didn't have a suitable dinghy, so a few weeks ago we bought a 2011 Honda CR-V. We just had the BlueOx and AirForce One systems installed. (Now we're broke!)

On the drive home, towing the CRV for the first time, I could feel the added drag on coach. Is this normal? Upon arrival I immediately checked the CR-V rims for heat (brake drag) and tested the transmission. All appeared normal.

I'm concerned about this. Any comments/experiences welcomed, as we're leaving next week on a trip.

Thanks, Jay

I have towed a '03 CRV since '03. I don't really notice a lot of difference but I know it's there. Perhaps you are sensitive to the difference because you are new to it and I am insensitive because I have done it so long. If it is a big difference then there must be something amiss. Take it to your tow package installer and have it checked out. Always be sure to follow the CRV setup to the letter.

Jay,

Welcome to the Forum and to RVing. I agree that you just may not be used to towing. It is good that you notice these things. As you continue to travel you will be more comfortable and have more confident in yourself.

How does your CRV drive? You might have the alignment checked. It might be just a little out and you don't notice it when you a driving but it may not be tracking correctly and that is what you are feeling. As you tow you might keep an eye on the front tires of the CRV and look for cupping. This would be a sign of alignment issues.

Good luck and keep the Forum abreast of your solution.

We towed a 2004 Colorado (bed roller and box cap so weight was over 4500 lbs) behind a 2004 39 ft Journey (Cat C7 and knew it was there. Towed the Colorado behind a 41 ft HR (Cummins ISC) and knew it was there. Towed a 2007 Tahoe behind the HR and our next MH - a Kodiak - and knew it was there. Now tow an Escape behind a smaller Itasca Impulse and know it is there.

In one case with the Colorado it felt strange and within a mile I stopped and released the handbrake. :( No damage but it had some extra drag. When I really know we have a toad is when crossing rail lines or large bumps, then I can feel a bit of a pull. The Tahoe weighed 5700 lbs - imagine towing a trailer with that weight and not knowing it is there.

This issue ranks with the "my motorhome handles just like a BMW" comment one reads on the forums periodically. When I read such comments I usually think the writer has never driven a BMW if he can't tell the difference. :)

GR

We tow almost all the time but there have been occasions when I don't have the car attached. Without the toad, the motor home definitely has more pick-up. The other occasion when I feel the toad tugging is when we have gone over a bump, a bridge or overpass, or railroad tracks. As the toad reacts to the bumps, it does a little push-pull action. This is probably related to how much your tow bar allows the car to move before it reaches its stop. All tow bars will allow some movement.

I've had several times when the toad didn't shift to neutral and we didn't detect it until we started to pull out. There was no mistaking that. I'd have had to mash the accelerator to get the coach to move. I've never pulled against the parking brake but if the parking brake is working properly it should be a noticeable difference in the acceleration of the coach.

I tow a 2006 CR-V AWD. I definitely know that it is there. Reduces mileage and acceleration. With any toad with automatic transmission you are turning a drive train and at least part of the transmission, so you will have drag. I do notice greater drag then when I was towing an Isuzu Rodeo with standard transmission. Hope this helps.