Sign in to follow this  
prairieschooner

New Toilet?

The PO installed a Thetford Bravuara toilet in our coach but then it sat for a while before we got it. Anyway the seal is leaking and so the bowl will not hold water. I haven't been able to find just the seal so I am looking at new toilets as well.

Does someone have knowledge about the Sealand Dometic 310? It looks like a good toilet at an inexpensive price. Supposedly the seal can be changed without taking the toilet apart. The toilet is a little taller than the Bravura and has a nicer look to it.

Looking for advice, thanks in advance.

Steve & Tricia,

To get to the seal or any other part on an RV toilet, you will have to dissamble the toilet to some extent -- depending on what it is you want to access for repair/replacement. On the SeaLand line that does not mean pulling the toilet up from the floor.

I haven't researched the Thetford Bravuara but you can Google the name and model as I did for the SeaLand 310. If you don't have one, you will be able to download a user manual with exploded parts list for the Bravuara. Then Google for the part name and number as we've done many times.

Many times debris get into and/or under the rubber ball seal (depending on configuration). I have found surgical gloves, tooth picks, radiator brush, and good lighting usually resolve that issue with no money outlay. Keep in mind many household cleaners will harden and basically destroy the seal. Follow the manufacturers recommendations on proper RV toilet cleansers. Be careful of some "home remedies".

That said, we have a SeaLand 510 Plus and are very happy with it. Access is easy and parts are are all over the Internet.

The only downside to the 310 I see is the height -- 18" from the floor. Our 510 is a more standard 15". We had a 17" toilet once and Elva had to sit tip toe on the seat. If you're both tall you will probably be more comfortable.

Get a copy of the 310 owner's manual at http://dometic.com/ca179a93-1151-40c1-9a82-15731f3ee1ba.fodoc

Chuck

We've had seal problems from time to time. One cause as Chuck points out is when debris blocks the ball seal from closing fully. I had to clean that out one time. Now I make sure visitors know that everything has to be in the water and has to go down the hole!

The other problem is occasional drying of the seal itself. I use silicon spray, allow a few hours for that to penetrate and the problem is solved. This solution works for weeks to months at a time. I keep a can of silicon spray in the cabinet above the toilet.

Thanks Guys,

I tried to clean the seal as has worked before but no luck. Next I tried to lube the seal but no luck.

The first source told me that the seals were not available but I have found a source for them. Looks like I will be taking the toilet apart and changing the seals for now. The wife actually wanted a taller toilet but I need to have her sit on one before I spend $$ and time on it.

Might also try pure silicone GREASE. That works on a lot of the seals and stays around a lot longer than the spray.

Brett

There is a tool which is available from Sealand/Dometic. It a looks like a flexable tongue depressor with roughness on one side. I have used it about every 4 or so months of toilet use. Problem solved.

About 4 months ago, we replaced our toilet with a SeaLand 310. Best thing we have done. Seals very well and better flushing action. The old toilet with ball valve just would not hold water even after replacing the ball, seal twice and repeated cleaning with the little plastic wand. I did a web search for the SeaLand 310 and bought for one $157 including shipping and received it in 4 days shipped from Texas to Indiana. The closest next price was a local dealer for $174.95 plus 7% sales tax or $187.20. I did find prices between these two, but the shipping added to much to the final price.