jjmez

Anyone Towing A Ford Explorer

We have a 2008 32V Southwind and are in the process of buying our first toad. We are looking at a 2012 Ford Escape. We looked at an Explorer last night but think it is too heavy. Any opinions on an explorer for a toad?

The towing guide for 2011 shows the lightest Explorer at over 4,500 pounds.

That is a lot for a gas chassis unless you just HAVE to have that large/heavy a vehicle. Verify that it does not exceed your coach's towing capacity or GCWR when you add the loaded weight of your motorhome.

Also, lots of posts on towing the Escape and it's transmission woes. Just put "Escape" or "Ford Escape" in the search box at the top right of this page.

Brett

I have a Ford Explorer that I tow with my 40' pusher, I would never try it with my 37 gas- that I had -- even with a braking system it would be to much to handle.

I had a Honda CRV, seat five and still had storage in the back, around 2300 pounds, 4 wheels down, 65 mph ok -- up to 250 miles/as per the book -- start run through gears -- than pull again. Used it for five years and no problems, not even tiers.

We had a 2004 Explorer that we towed for 27,000 miles with no problems. We did have to add the electric switch that cost $100, dealer installed. Last spring we traded for a 2011 Escape. Big mistake. The Escape is now sitting at a Ford dealership waiting for its second replacement transmission. We have followed the instructions but still fried two transmissions. Am now talking to Ford.

We are on our third Explorer being towed. The first was with a Gas MH with a Ford 460. I have no complaints at all about lacking power. Also the Escape is very popular. As the moderator stated there was a lot of transmission problems, but now they are solved. TSB 09-20-13 Describes a procedure Ford has come up with where you run the transmission one quart low and use a special dipstick. You then run the vehicle through the gears, do not tow over 65 MPH and every 6 hours stop and run the vehicle to cool the transmission.

We have several in our Michigan Knights of the Highway that follow this procedure and all is well. With our Explorer there is no limitation. Also now all but the Ford Focus can be towed four on the ground.

Have fun.

Jerry Wessel

F179742