Sign in to follow this  
dukeman7595

AAA Coverage for Motorhomes

Hello, Everyone.

I have had triple A for my automobiles for many years and have used the service I believe twice with positive results.

Upon purchasing a Motorhome I upgraded my triple A coverage to RV Plus, which entitles me to a tow up to 200 miles for my RV and or auto.

My question: Is this sufficient protection for an RV for towing? They also have other perks such as changing a flat tire, gasoline delivered if you should run out. I have not read any forums that covers my question concerning triple A, only topics were other types of towing services.

Could someone please advise me if triple A is sufficient for motorhomes?

Sincerely. JOE

Joe, Great question!

I have AAA RV Plus too. Never had to use it yet, I'm interested in the responses to your question as well, especially about tire repair/replacement since I don't carry a spare. I assume they would just tow to the nearest tire facility that could perform the task.

John

John,

Assume nothing!

Most road service providers will provide a service call to bring you a tire and have it installed. You pay for the tire, even if it isn't the new tire or in the right size that you need. They pay for the service call which is much cheaper than a tow. Putting any tire that will fit on your rig will get you off the road. Then it is your problem from there. Been there - done that!

This is from experience with Good Sam and Coach Net, maybe AAA would pay for the tow.

Hello again,

I called a TRIPLE A road service rep... He stated they will tow my Rv 200 miles if needed,and tire change is also included. However, this is the only tow for the year, but the other preks are good for 4 times a year.

I hoped this helps. The reason I asked about other services is that I have not heard triple A mentioned by anyone, and started me to think about checking it out.

Sincerely,

JOE

We have the Auto Club's RV service and have called on them twice for assistance. In each instance we were having fuel supply troubles for our diesel.

In the first instance, they dispatched a mechanic with a huge wrecker very promptly. He indicated it would take quite a while to get our coach ready to tow and it might be quicker to just fix the fuel problem if possible. I agreed and he found the problem, returned with his service/parts truck, and resolved the issue for us -- at no charge.

The second time we needed help from the AAA was a holiday weekend in snowy Yosemite. There were miscommunications and it took AAA several hours to get a properly equipped tow truck to us. Once he finally arrived, he too identified the trouble, got us up and running, and followed us out just to make sure we were alright; again at no charge.

I have not needed help with tires, but am happy with the AAA's RV service so far.

Tim

We had AAA for many years on our autos, maybe two or three flat tires during those years. When going on the road with our Airstream and had it put on our policy they assured us we were covered. On I 10 in West Texas we saw rubber flying on RV. AAA said would be there within 45 min from El Paso (we were at least 1 1/2 hrs from El Paso). After many calls being given excuses, saying repair was on the way, etc, after at least 1/2 day and a final 30 min telephone call they advised we were too big.... 30 ft Airstream behind Ford Pickup.

Needless to day, when we purchased a Motor Home we went to Good Sam and GMAC. So far have only had flat tires (from the gravel like substance they put inside tire for balancing) and they came right out and repaired them. Our traveling partner sent us tires from a town about 30 miles away afterwards and we finally got to a town after dark for the night, we don't usually drive after dark but sure were glad to get off the road and 50 mph wind gusts.

Glad to see this question covered. I personally have AAA RV Plus coverage and must say I had a very disappointing experience last year after wrapping a wind blown construction canvas in the wheel well of my tow dolly. The tire stopped instantly and blew out immediately. We managed to stop quickly along the Florida turnpike construction site and called AAA. Don't you know they informed me that the tow vehicle is not covered. We spent $500 getting back on the road after unloading our tow vehicle and loading it on a flatbed tow truck which too us to a Pep Boy to change the tire. Probably the only company that truly covers all your vehicles is Good Sam's. Beware of AAA they will find a way not to provide you with service when you need it. They however have always given me good auto coverage, so this was a real shock for us.