nanseecat

GFI Outlets/Battery Charging/Inverter-charger

My dw and her friend had the MW with coffee pot and toaster along with a tea kettle going and wonder why the electric went out.   Can you say grid overload.  

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Overload (drawing too many amps) will trip the BREAKER.  It will not trip the GFI.  The two serve very different functions.

I thought they are breakers on the inverter.  

17 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

But, enough mentions of GFI's in the thread that we need to make sure the two devices (breakers vs GFI) are not confused.

19 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

I"m not Brett, however his reply is accurate, breakers protect the circuit, GFCI protects you from electrical death.

17 minutes ago, RAYIN said:

I"m not Brett, however his reply is accurate, breakers protect the circuit, GFCI protects you from electrical death.

I was referring to blakleyfamily post as others was.  I don't need clarification of GFCI vs breakers.   

Unfortunately, some coaches like Linda's, is over wired on GFCI's.  She has one in bedroom, one in bathroom, 2 in kitchen and one by front TV!  All inter connected.  If she has TV on and then makes coffee...Trip!  According to Tiffin...it must have been re-wired by original owner. BS.

Brett, your correct & so is Ray! 

This is what I used in my house and coach, it is a circuitbreaker/gfci breaker which installs inside the breaker box. I prefer this type because it protects against either overload or gfci problem, I simply go to my breaker boxes and reset. I also use the receptacle type gfci at an individual outlet for extra precaution with no downstream gfci protection on that receptacle. Now we also have arc fault protection for added safety against fire because of an arched circuit.

Please don't be confused by what I said, Brett is correct unless you have this type setup, and if you notice, there are two resets on this device, which will let you know what was the cause of the trip, yellow/gfci is of course for a gfci test, and the black toggle is for overload and gfci reset, the unit will not function again until the  reset is done, it just eliminates having to go find the gfci upstream in the event of a failure, (no more hidden trying to find its location).

square-d-1-pole-breakers-hom120gficp-64_1000.jpg