The FMCA Forums software was updated this morning. Here are some of the improvements you will notice.

Page reloads eliminated

Page reloads (after posting) have been removed, enabling instant posting and page updating.

New-post alert while typing

Sometimes, after using fast reply to make a post, you realize that others have posted in the meantime, rendering your reply either redundant or out of context. To solve this, the forums now checks at regular intervals to see if any new posts have come through; if so, you can add them to the page.

Go to last read post

It’s easier to locate your last-read position with a handy link on the topic page.

View New Content

"View New Content" and "View Active Content" have merged into one single "View New Content" page. This will make it much simpler to find what you are looking for.

The View New Content page remembers your last selection preferences and stores them in the database so the next time you load the view new content page, it'll automatically use those preferences.

Also, you can now elect to filter the View New Content result set by items you follow. This will search forums and topics you are following (in other words, “watching”) and present topics inside forums that are new or topics that you're following that have new posts. This makes the View New Content area much more useful because it is delivering precisely the content that you want to read.

Unread topics

The unread topic marking system will now remember what page of a topic you left off reading, rather than assume you read the entire topic on the first click. Thus, a topic with many pages isn't marked as read until the last page has been loaded. This means you can partially read a topic and come back to it later.

Auto Saving Text

As you type, the editor checks to see if there's any new content, and if anything happens to your page, upon reloading you'll see it's stored your content and you can quickly restore it. You won't lose another post to a browser crash or server timeout.

Tagging

When creating a new topic, you can “Tag” content with special keywords and then find other content tagged with the same keywords. This is a way to organize data beyond the preset categories and forums setup.

New photo editor

The new photo editor, under “My Settings,” makes changing your photo an easier and more pleasant experience!

My Media

If you submit images to the photo gallery, My Media makes it easy to insert them into your posts or blog. On the Forums, you’ll find the My Media icon on the text editor when making a post.

Enjoy these new features and improvements. :) I’m sure you will notice others …. Please post comments, questions, issues or suggestions in Forum Support.

I'm still trying to link an album in the gallery to my blog entry on CA Highway 4 and can't seem to do it. I wrote the blog first, then created the album separately. Then I went back and edited the blog trying to link the album to the blog. Nothing shows up as far as I can see. How should this work? Can I only link the album when first creating a blog entry?

You did this for one other entry for me but when I viewed it, the link broke and I could no longer see any evidence of the album entry when viewing that blog.

I really like the "new look" but I also miss the <mark all read> link that was provided at the top right of the new topics page. I don't always read every new post and it appears that unless I do open each new post, it remains as a new topic or active post the next time I return. Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks,

Ed

I really like the "new look" but I also miss the <mark all read> link that was provided at the top right of the new topics page. I don't always read every new post and it appears that unless I do open each new post, it remains as a new topic or active post the next time I return. Am I missing it somewhere?

Yes, previously you could "Mark all forums as read." Now, try the "Mark Community Read" link at the bottom left of forum pages.

If you'd rather not mark the entire community as read, you can drill down new content by time period. Go to your View New Content page. In the left-hand column, choose "New since my last visit" or "Past 24 hours." Other options include "Just items I follow."

"Mark this forum as read" is still near the top-right of the page.

I'm still trying to link an album in the gallery to my blog entry on CA Highway 4 and can't seem to do it. I wrote the blog first, then created the album separately. Then I went back and edited the blog trying to link the album to the blog. Nothing shows up as far as I can see. How should this work? Can I only link the album when first creating a blog entry?

When entering or editing a blog entry, use the Entry Album drop-down tool to select one of your galleries to insert in the blog. Or, you can click the My Media icon to insert individual images into your blog. Here's a screenshot ...

post-220-0-63794300-1318346242_thumb.jpg

It doesn't matter when you create a blog or album. As long as you have images in an album -- or somewhere in My Media, they should be available to insert in your blog entries.

Note: You will not see the images until the entry is published. Sorry, that's just the way the software works right now.

Guest Wayne77590

Sheeeshh! Does the learning curve ever stop? Now I have to start all over again.

I'll save review comments for later, or never.

Thanks.

When entering or editing a blog entry, use the Entry Album drop-down tool to select one of your galleries to insert in the blog. Or, you can click the My Media icon to insert individual images into your blog.

Thanks for your help. I was able to successfully load the album onto my blog entry.

Now I have another concern. When I open my most recent blog entry, there used to be a listing of previous entries in my blog along the right side of the page. Now there is only a calendar. I can see that dates with blog entries can be selected to view previous blogs. I think it made it easier for viewers to read previous entries if they were listed with titles and dates rather than clicking a date on the calendar. Let's face it for most of the blogs on FMCA you won't find entries for several months back. I also know that you can access the full list of blogs by selecting the blog title at the top of the page but this is hardly a prominent button for people to use. I can see the listing of previous blogs on the general blog page with a chronological listing of all recent blogs. That is a way to go back to a few of my recent posts. Would like to see it easier for people to navigate back to any previous post.

Finally, when I select the blog for the 11th on the calendar with my blog it says there are no entries yet. I drafted the most recent entry of my blog on the 10th and just posted it this morning, the 11th. There is no active button on the 10th, so that is no help. Is that confusing the software and causing the no entry yet comment? Or is there a delay before the blog entry is available to the public?

Sheeeshh! Does the learning curve ever stop? Now I have to start all over again.

Keep marching up that hill Marine! :lol:

Tom

When I open my most recent blog entry, there used to be a listing of previous entries in my blog along the right side of the page. Now there is only a calendar.

Certain modules, including "Recent Entries" and "Recent Comments," are not showing on your individual blog entries pages. The issue appears to be specific to your account.

If you click on one of your blog entries (while logged in), you'll see an "Add Block" button near the top right. It's a drop-down list of the options for content blocks that you want shown next to your blog entries. Content blocks that you can show include:

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

My Gallery Albums

User Viewing

My Blog Links

Search

You can click the X to remove any of these content blocks. Also, you can put them in any order you want by clicking on one and dragging it up or down.

Finally, when I select the blog for the 11th on the calendar with my blog it says there are no entries yet. I drafted the most recent entry of my blog on the 10th and just posted it this morning, the 11th. There is no active button on the 10th, so that is no help. Is that confusing the software and causing the no entry yet comment? Or is there a delay before the blog entry is available to the public?

There is no delay; entries should be published on the date you specify. But your blog entry date and date/link on the mini calendar are not in synch. This issue also appears to be specific to your (and maybe a few others') accounts. Am looking into these issues and will send you a PM.

You may continue to notice some things "out of the ordinary" until changes associated with the upgrade take effect. Thanks for your patience and observations.

I like the change, but there is one quirk that I do not care for. That is when you reply to a topic and go back the orginal topic is missing from the list probably because it is no longer new. There have been times that I want to go back into my reply and add something, but I do not remember where it was located. I could search for it, but that is a hassle.

Also, where did the spell check icon go?

I like the change, but there is one quirk that I do not care for. That is when you reply to a topic and go back the orginal topic is missing from the list probably because it is no longer new. There have been times that I want to go back into my reply and add something, but I do not remember where it was located. I could search for it, but that is a hassle.

Two suggestions for finding your posts:

1. Go to your Profile and click on Posts. You'll see "Posts I've Made." And to the right, you can click the "Find Content" button to reveal your recent posts.

2. On the "View New Content" page, on the left under Other, you'll see "Topics I've Participated in."

Also, where did the spell check icon go?

The forum does not have a spell checker, but many browsers have them built-in now. I know Firefox and Chrome do. Internet Explorer does not.

In Firefox, if you hover over the misspelled word and right-click, it gives you suggestions.

The software developers probably didn't want to include something in the software when your browser already does it.

Besides, we donn't reelly carre abouut spilling, anywayz, right? :rolleyes:

We strive to be the friendliest, most informative Internet disucssion board for motorhome owners. We do care about spelling and grammar, but as long as you get your meaning across in a readable manner -- that's the important thing.

So, to everyone: Do your best with spelling and punctuation. If you're worried about it, type your post in a word processor and use the spell checker there. Then, paste the copy into the text editor on the forums -- there is a "Paste from Word" tool in the text editor. This isn't the most convenient and quick method of posting, but it can be effective at preventing common spelling mistakes.

Before you submit your post, read it to yourself from the perspective of someone who is reading it for the first time.

Yes, previously you could "Mark all forums as read." Now, try the "Mark Community Read" link at the bottom left of forum pages.

"Mark this forum as read" is still near the top-right of the page.

The link at the bottom of the page does not work for me and I don't see anything at the top.

Thanks,

Ron

The link at the bottom of the page does not work for me and I don't see anything at the top.

Mark Community Read is at the lower left -- you have to scroll down to see it. Mark this forum as read should be near top right. See these screen shots ...

post-220-0-11088200-1319541753_thumb.jpg post-220-0-98434900-1319541760_thumb.jpg

I am trying to "View New Content." I Mark Community Read "Mark all as read." I exit and come back in to FMCA.com and go to Forums "View New Content" and I am shown page 1 of 41 pages of new content. The appearance is that "Marking" does not work.

I am trying to "View New Content." I Mark Community Read "Mark all as read." I exit and come back in to FMCA.com and go to Forums "View New Content" and I am shown page 1 of 41 pages of new content. The appearance is that "Marking" does not work.

Look in the upper right corner and make sure you are signed in when this occurs. If not, sign in and see what shows as "View New Content".

Mark Community Read is at the lower left -- you have to scroll down to see it. Mark this forum as read should be near top right. See these screen shots ...

post-220-0-11088200-1319541753_thumb.jpg post-220-0-98434900-1319541760_thumb.jpg

The "mark community read" at the bottom started working as it should. After I installed Flash.

The at the top right shows "go to first unread" only.

Ron

Take a look at your sort options on the New Content page. They're over to the left. If you select anything other than the "Content I have not read" option, it will show read topics, because ... you're searching based on a time, not whether topics have been read or not.

Well, that's my perception.

Have you downloaded Invision Power Services' free update to the iPhone / iPad app in the Apple App Store? Reportedly, this update fixes bugs reported in previous versions.

However, you won't be able to sign in or post using the app version. The iPad app relies on standard login procedures; currently, our login system pulls from a database associated with FMCA's main site. www.fmca.com.