Sign in to follow this  
bigbryank

LP Gas Not Flowing To Appliances

Hello.
This past weekend the wife and I had the opportunity to take the coach out for a few days. Since we had not been out in a few weeks we had turned the LP tank off so we didn’t have any possibility of a gas leak. Well, I ended up having a little issue that I haven’t seen on the forums lately. When I arrived and got everything set up I turned on the LP Gas and tried to lite the stove and water heater. But nothing would lite. I went out to check that I had Gas, the gauge on the tank shows almost full. I loosened the vapor valve just to check that the gauge was still functioning and gas came out of the valve. I again went in to try the stove, opened all 3 burners using a long lighter this time and still no fire. It’s like I have gas in the tank but no flow. I checked that the valve was open I even went as far as to leave it half way just to make sure. I turned the valve to close let it sit about 10 or 15 min then reopened it still nothing. Is it possible that the regulator has frozen up or what else could it be?
Thanks,
Bryan King
1999 American Tradition 40TVS
Lakeland, Florida

Bryan,

Does your coach have an electric solenoid controlling gas flow. Many do as part of a propane detector system?

Also, try closing the valve again and VERY slowly opening it.

Brett thanks for the reply, I did the valve trick didn't seem to work. But, I don’t know about the electric solenoid. I'm asuming that would stop the flow if I didnt have power or if I had a leak detector go off?

But, I don’t know about the electric solenoid. I'm assuming that would stop the flow if I didn't have power or if I had a leak detector go off?

Correct, no 12 VDC power to the propane detector or propane detector signaling propane leak or defective sensor or defective wiring from detector to solenoid or defective solenoid will shut down the propane system.

Look at your propane tank/regulator area. If you have a solenoid valve, it will be between the tank and the hose going to the propane system in the motorhome. Any wires other than for the gauge would be a good indication that you have a solenoid.

We had a '99 Endeavor that had a similar gas flow problem a few years ago.

I found that one of the leads to the solenoid valve coil had corroded and broken off right at the edge of the bakelite coil shield.

A dealer bypassed the valve temporarily (not wise for long term use) until he could try and repair the wire and get the valve operating again. It was 3 weeks until he could get a new solenoid valve and reinstall it on the coach. I was quite worried about the bypassed safety valve for the whole 3 weeks.

Ed

I had this problem on one of our coaches. It turned out that I had a bad Gas Leak Detecter. Each time we took the coach out I had to spray the unit with a can of compressed air (computer cleaning). It would work until the next time we turned off the gas for storage, Then we would have to spray it again. When I replaced the unit no more problems.

Good Luck

I replaced my gas detector because of age - now no propane flow. What controls the solenoid on the outlet of the regulator? I am not getting propane to anything.

I replaced my gas detector because of age - now no propane flow. What controls the solenoid on the outlet of the regulator? I am not getting propane to anything.

What brand propane detector and solenoid valve did you have? Is the new one (detector) compatible signal-wise with the original solenoid?