dogpatch

Dyna-tuning - Does it work?

I've been toying with the idea of getting our RV Dyna-tuned but am unsure of the benefits for our unit and wanted to see if any others with same have had it done and what your thoughts are. Our unit is a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35U with the 6.8 ltr V10 Gas engine. Ours is the 3 speed with overdrive (4 speed).

The model of Dyna-tuner I've read about is a 5 Star SCT X3.

Does it make a difference and if so what is different? Please help! I don't want to spend $395 if it isn't worth it. I do know shifting while going up a hill is a bugger cause it feels like it drops into second and screams.

Also, is there an improvement in torque and mileage like they say?

Here is what I have been told along with links from 5Star Tuning.

The SCT X3 would be a nice fit for your RV. See here for some specific tune details http://www.5startuning.com/page3/page3.html. A performance/tow type tune will net you better pulling power from tip in through 4000 RPM's and can net some better economy. The RV just with an 87 Octane tune will run with more power through the entire RPM range and much better shifting.

And more info here http://www.5startuning.com/index_assets/FearNoMountain.pdf

The X3 also acts as a diagnostic code reader for any Ford vehicle. Another very flexible advantage the X3 has is it can be used on any Ford Vehicles. So down the road if you upgrade your vehicle to a newer Ford model the X3 still would work on it.

Pricing for X3's custom tuned are $395.00. This also includes FREE tune revision updates. Once we have all info on your RV item will ship out next business day.

dog,

This type of unit is sold by many companies and make great claims to improving torque and milage. If you gain 1/2 mpg how long will it take to recope your money? The units I have seen can be set for economy, power cruve or HP gains but not together. My son got a unit for his Ford diesal. He can get better milage but loses power. He can set it on high preformance and smoke the tires but his fuel goes up in smoke behind his suv.

You can gain alot better milage by just slowing down 10 MPH. You can get more power for hills by ingreasing your RPM just before you start up a steep grade and it doesn't cost $395.00+.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck

Herman,I have read your answers to many questions and respect your intelligence.But increasing your speed or rpm as you say is not always possible and usually not. I installed the 5 star tune and as I stated it is not * magic* you still must know your coach and its capabilities.Experience is a major key also...........that being said I have NO stock in the company but having installed it I know it works and that is why I I sent it out to the members.Welcome to 2016

DOG, THE DIFFERENCE THE X3 IS QUITE NOTICEABLE AND I DO BELIEVE YOU WILL BE SATISFIED. I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND WORKED WELL THROUGHOUT MY MOST RECENT JOURNEY...MTS. HILLS AND THE FLAT HIGHWAYS. THE PEOPLE AT SCT WILL WALK YOU RIGHT THROUGH THE INSTALL PROCESS,MY ONLY REASON FOR STARTING THIS FORUM WAS TO LET THE GOOD PEOPLE OF FMCA KNOW ABOUT A PRODUCT THAT WORKS.

ONE OTHER THING BEFORE I AM CORRECTED FOR USING ALL CAPS I AM NOT SHOUTING MY HAND ARE A BIT CRIPPLED UP AND SOMETIMES ITS JUST EASIER,SAFE TRAVELS

BOSTON BERNIE

The people who have 5 Star tuners that I have talked to like the way it controls the excess shifting of the transmission. I haven't heard any big claims to increased economy or power but it appears worth the price to control the transmission.

Bill

11 hours ago, bostonbernie said:

DOG, THE DIFFERENCE THE X3 IS QUITE NOTICEABLE AND I DO BELIEVE YOU WILL BE SATISFIED. I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND WORKED WELL THROUGHOUT MY MOST RECENT JOURNEY...MTS. HILLS AND THE FLAT HIGHWAYS. THE PEOPLE AT SCT WILL WALK YOU RIGHT THROUGH THE INSTALL PROCESS,MY ONLY REASON FOR STARTING THIS FORUM WAS TO LET THE GOOD PEOPLE OF FMCA KNOW ABOUT A PRODUCT THAT WORKS.

ONE OTHER THING BEFORE I AM CORRECTED FOR USING ALL CAPS I AM NOT SHOUTING MY HAND ARE A BIT CRIPPLED UP AND SOMETIMES ITS JUST EASIER,SAFE TRAVELS

BOSTON BERNIE

Really?  Easier to use CAPS?  You still have to hit the exact same keys with your crippled up hands whether you push or don't push the CAPS key.

If you said you were nearly blind and using CAPS helped you read what you were posting that might make some sense but since your keys don't get any bigger or easier to use, posting in all CAPS just makes it hard to read and there's no reason not to just push and release the CAPS button to make a post that will be welcome by all.