Sign in to follow this  
dstand534

Thetford Sani-Con System

Guest BillAdams

What's wrong with your current system?

What do you hope to gain by spending that money on Sani-Con?

Do you have some kind of special need? Is dumping in a minute or 2 with your current 3" hose just too fast and you are looking for a slower way to do it?

Obviously, a bit of sarcasm (just a joke) but what needs are not currently being met by your current system would help others give a more accurate answer.

Guest BillAdams

The Sani-Con system should work very well for that kind of a situation.

I bought the Tank Buddy (the one in the carry case) about 3 years ago and i really like it. I bought this model because our coach could not use the internal model. I use it mainly at home when i come off the road. I pump up hill about 200 ft. and can pump both black and gray tanks in about 10 minutes. I bought 200 ft. of their hose because it was more felxible and easier to store. I think you would like it.

Dave, I have the sani con system in my Dutch Star and have had it for 5 years with no problems. While the 3" hose will dump faster, there is less mess with the sani con.

When it is time to dump up hill or down flip the switch when the tank is empty flip the switch again put the cap on, place the hose in the compartment off you go. I will say this while I have a black tank flush if we are in a hurry or I just choose not to use it I will let the gray tank collect the night before and use it to flush the hose.

I purchased a Flo-Jet pump about 5 years ago. I used it at my mother's home to make an 80' run to sewer. I find it easy to use for a quick hook-up and dump. It does take longer than the 3" hose but when I'm done, clean up and put away is much faster and easier. When we have a campsite which has a sewer connection we can't get close enough to use the 3" hose, the Flo-Jet is handy to have. The same goes for the occasional uphill to the sewer dump. Clean up is virtually a non issue. When we stay in an area for a while the 3" hose is preferred as we leave the gray water open so we don't have to worry about filling the gray tank.

The Flo-Jet has rubber impellers and these will wear out with time. They are replaceable, a rebuild kit can be purchased from West Marine and runs about $25.00. I've rebuilt my pump two times in 5 years. I purchased the pump alone and did an install inside the sewer compartment of the motor home. I got some 1" hose at a hardware store and carry several lengths which can be hooked together to make a longer hose. A friend of mine suggested going to Princess Auto (in Canada) to get quick release hose connectors. I found the same fittings at Orscheln. The quick release fittings made the whole system very convenient.

I have a Sani-con unit purchased before Thetford bought the company and degraded the hose and connector. I have no idea where they cheapened the guts as well. They charge the same price however, boo!

Having said that, for pumping up hill or long distances it is great! Mine is four or five years old, permanently installed and I have not yet had a problem (how's that for asking for trouble?). If I did not have the need to reach 120 feet and a couple of feet uphill at our son's house, I would not have spent the $400 it cost. I never had an issue with the 3" hose system. We travel a lot in cold climates. When freezing temps are expected it is so easy to exist on our holding tanks overnight and pump out as necessary when the freeze lifts. Unscrew a garden hose cap, thread the connector onto the sewer, open the valves in sequence and pump. Reclose the end of the hose with the garden hose cap and put the clean dry hose back into the compartment. No need to disconnect anything. Love it!

I purchased the system recently. It works great for me, saves a lot of time and mess. The only

regret that I have is that I did not buy the system that was mountable in the RV.

I have contacted Thetford asking about running a hose from the Tank valve to a mounted unit within one of the compartments. Their replay was that would not be a problem as long as the pump was below the drain valve since it is gravity fed. The pump does not pump out the tank, but only takes what it receives by gravity from the tank and then pumps it out to the sewer inlet.

Its pretty hard to find a compartment below the sewer drain valve, so I end up raking the pump out of the box each time, connecting it to the rain valve and then putting it into operation.