Sign in to follow this  
lebjdixon

Throttle Stop Working On Cummins Diesel

I cranked my 98 diesel Holiday Rambler up just too let it run a bit.

I was gunning a little off and on and the throttle stop working.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is there a sensor? Does it work on air? I've always wondered how the throttle works, so guess I will find out.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

L Dixon

There are both air and electronic throttles used on these applications. Check with your chassis maker to determine what you have and how to properly troubleshoot it.

One other comment. No diesel engine manufacturer recommends starting an engine UNLESS you are able to drive it a minimum of 25 highway miles. Said another way, unless you can get the OIL, not just coolant up to operating temperatures for long enough to rid the crankcase of moisture, you are doing more harm than good. No way for a diesel to get the oil to operating temperatures except under a load. It could idle for hours and never achieve working temperatures.

Brett

I had similar problem on 01 Monaco. I have Silverleaf diagnostics-- it said throttle position.

I lucked out and unplugged wires under pedal and replugged-- it worked after that.

We are quite sure now its electronic, we went back out an hr later and it was working, go figure!!! So, Brett are you telling me just cranking it to move it out of the garage, I'm going to have to go 25 miles back to my garage.

We are quite sure now its electronic, we went back out an hr later and it was working, go figure!!! So, Brett are you telling me just cranking it to move it out of the garage, I'm going to have to go 25 miles back to my garage.

YES.

The Monaco products of that era (1998) used an electronic throttle position sensor. If I remember correctly, the sending unit near the throttle pedal sends a signal to the engine control unit indicating how far you have the pedal depressed.

If you are getting a garbled signal, it may be sending an error code. Otherwise, testing the individual components might be in order. Has the problem re-occurred?

Tim