Sign in to follow this  
bizsmith@yahoo.com

Best Portable Gas Grill

We use a Webber 220 with a detachable 5 lb cylinder. This grill is small enough that it doesn't take to much space, yet rugged enough to take the heat. The cooking surface is rugged, evenly heated and easy enough to clean. We had used other manufactured grills and found the cooking surfaces irregular and difficult to maintain and clean.

I've used several grills over the past years, but the Weber 200/220 series is the best one i've found yet. The grill has the quality you expect from Weber, never had a bad cook on the unit, everything from burgers and chicken to 3 Tri-Tip roasts. I use the a 10 lb propane tank.

Dennis

We like the BABY Q because the heat is very even and cooks steaks as quickly as our 3 burner Weber at home, but the serface area is smaller. Several accessories are available including tools and a cart that folds for storage, etc. Available to purchase at Home Depot and Camping World. We do use a portable 7 pound tank, but carry a throw away just in case we run out of gas before refilling the 7 pound tank. I have refilled at Flying J and other locations when I refilling the motor home. So far they just continue filling, and I get charged just for the total gallons. Doing so is much cheaper than filling at the bulk LPG plant.

We have a Weber 200. We also bought the stand that folds up. I love this grill. Better that my $1500 stainless Vermont Castings top of the line. BBQ only cost $249! and $65 for the stand. Nice even cooking. Has electric start. Heats fast and nice and even.

We also use the Webber Q200 and love it. For motorhome usage, storage is a big issue. The fact the side decks fold up into the unit for storage helps a lot.

Another plus is the removable and disposable fat/waste pans. The fats roll down into the pan for easy disposal so you don't have to clean it out or worry about it dripping in your basement. We've found this unit rugged and reliable, and would purchase it again.

Happy travels,

Tim

Kudos for the Weber. Our first grill was a Coleman and the first time we used it, the grills melted when I closed it so as to clean it.

I do have a question however, we were sold a connection hose (10 ft) so as to hook it up to the RV tank.

2002 Pace Arrow has a connection for a hook up.

Does anyone else use this hookup?

Guest Wayne77590

I'm also looking to replace my Coleman RoadTrip grill.

I have seen one in SAM's called the "Sportsman."

Has anyone had any experience with this grill?

Any comments pro or con?

I also do not use the grill method of cooking so buying something high dollar is not going to be worth it for me.

Thanks.

Guest BillAdams

To Bill Adams-I like the Solaire for its heat to properly sear steaks but we would not use it enough to justify the cost. Thanks for the input from someone who has actually used it.

Well, you did ask about "best"! It's clearly not the most affordable but since we grill 3-4 times a week we find that we do get enough use to justify the cost. The other grills mentioned are all excellent choices and we have seen many of them in RV's during our travels. They vary in size so be sure you have a convenient place for the unit you select.

We have been using the Holland Grill Companion for about 10 years. It does a great job with one exception, when doing a steak or hamburg you don't get the "griilled" browning effect. We recently bought a Coleman Road Trip for doing steaks and hamburgs and have had no problems with it. The Holland can do a whole chicken in 45 minutes. We also have a larger Holland at home and I can do a 15 lb turkey in 3-31/2 hours and it is very moist (as if done in an oven) The thing behind the Holland is that you have no flare ups as it uses indirect flame. We also have a 20 lb portable tank that hooks to both grills. Our Coleman is the blue Road Trip that can be used on the stand or on a table.

We have a Companion and really dislike it because it does not cook steaks and hamburgers well and that is our primary use for a grill. We do not want to carry another grill. I will admit that the Companion does well for cooking as you would in an oven but we have an oven in the Motor Home for that.

The best one for me is the Weber Q-220 Portable Grill, this portable grill is a master of design.

It packs up to be less than 32 inches long, yet its seven inch lid means this grill is big enough to cook a whole chicken. It uses standard 14 ounce propane tanks (not included) and has a 280 square-inch porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grate that's almost big enough to be called a full sized grill.

At under $200 this grill has Weber's durability and a unique design that has won awards. Not only a great grill to cook on, it's cool looking too.

Since originally posting, we have purchased a Weber Q120. It has a couple of features not found on the Q100 (electronic ignition, higher dome). Since we don't grill a lot, I think it's smaller size is going to work out fine for us.