reid9439

Problem With Workhorse R20 Chassis-- Fan Hub Bolt Failure

I own a 2005 Presidio (made by Thor) with an R20 series Workhorse chassis. It's a rear pusher with a 330 Cummins engine.

Coming home from the Madison rally, I had a catastrophic breakdown near Detroit. What happened you ask? The fan hub broke loose from the engine because 2 of the 4 bolts broke off in the block. One of the 4 flanges of the fan clutch assembly also broke off. This caused the fan to also breakaway, losing the serpentine belt and damaging the alternator. Thank goodness the fan shroud and radiator where spared. What a mess!

After 1 week and $5,000 later we were back on the road. Since I thought this was clearly a workmanship issue, I figured maybe Workhorse might have some compassion for any out of warranty issue such as this. NOT! They wouldn't even reimburse me for the postage stamp. :)

My question is this. Does anyone know of another coach manufacturer that used this chassis other than the 2005 Presidio. It seems that all Presidio's after 2005 were Freightliner. It is also my understanding that the 2005 Mandalay's, which is the sister coach to the Presidio, was built on the Freightliner chassis. No one at Thor will give me a straight answer as to why, when both coaches are in their Luxury Coach Division. You can only assume it's economics.

If you have any R20 chassis, you may want to have a mechanic check the torque on those fan hub bolts. If anyone wants more information just let me know.

Sorry for your mishap. However I can't understand how Workhorse has any thing to do with the problem with your engine. If you feel that you are owed something for your problem, you are looking for the wrong company to be angry with. Cummins made the engine and the fan that broke. You didn't say how many miles you have on your coach or how well it has been maintained.

Sorry. :(

Actually, the chassis maker either specs or installs the fan/fan hub. But, as Hermann says, you lose nothing by calling Cummins and verifying who installed the fan/fan hub on your engine. Call them with your engine serial number.

Cummins 800 343-7357

I have already talked with Cummins and of course no clear answer. It was a Cummins dealer who did the repair and I was pretty much assured that there would be no compensations from them since it was out of warranty.

My original questions remains the same. Does anyone own a coach with a R20 Workhorse chassis? And if so what make coach.