hanko

Ford V10 Gas Mileage

I know there are a lot of these engines out there in some pretty good size coaches.

Just wondering what some of you are experiencing in terms of gas mileage?

I've seen MPG range of 6.8 on first tank run through new 30' coach to a high of 8.0 on one tank while not towing 4700 # GMC behind us. Overall, I'm recording an average of 7.5 MPG over about 3200 miles.

Just purchased a '12 Winnebago Adventurer and drove it 625 miles home towing a Honda CR V against a strong headwind the entire trip; averaged 6.2 mpg. Could've been better, could've been worse.

We drove a 25 ft, 2000 Phoenix Flyer (by Fleetwood) for 4 years, and we got 10.5 mpg towing or not. You can imagine my surprise when we replaced it with a 2004 Jamboree (also by Fleetwood) which gets about 7 mpg. The Jamboree is a foot longer and weighs about 100 pounds more, and has the same engine. I don't know about the transmission. I called Ford, Fleetwood, and anybody else I could think of, and the typical response was something like "WOW you sure did good with that Phoenix Flyer. You should have kept it" which wasn't too helpful. I think the problem is that the computer is programmed for performance, not for economy. I swear the the thing looks down the road and says to itself "OMG, there's rise in the roadway ahead, I'd better shift down". It doesn't allow the engine to work. I'm convinced that if I could find someone willing and able to do it, the program could be tweaked to fix this. But so far I've not been able to find anyone. So I just continue to sit in the right hand lane with the cruise control set at 55, like I've always done, and let the diesel pushers and semis blast by me at 65 or 70.

We have a 2003 35' Adventurer V-10 towing a 2007 Saturn Vue for 95000 milles coast to coast. We put the Banks system on to improve performance and raise the mpg about 0.4 to 7.92 mpg. We drive about 60 mph.

Thanks for all the replys. Its kinda what I expected. You know the funny thing I noticed is that there has been little done in the way of aerodynamic improvments to motorhomes. They all except a few remind me of a 4X8 sheet of plywood going down the road. Look at the new front ends of semi's. In the last few years the truck mfg's have made a gallent effort to improve the fuel consumption of there highway tractors.

I'm driving a 2005 32' Hurricane, Ford V10, usually towing a '06 Jeep Liberty.

In the last two years I have put 26,000 miles and have averaged 7.27 MPG in that time. Highest was 10.2 MPG on one tank of gas and lowest was 6.27 MPG.

I think part of the problem with the lower mileage was fuel related. On the last trip, while in Idaho and Montana the fuel pumps said "up to 15% ethanol". Not the best fuel for good mileage.

We have a 2005 Jamboree 26Q. When not towing a toad we get between 8.1 to 10.3 miles to the gallon according to my Scan Gauge II depending on wind, and hills or flat land. I usually set the cruise control at 62mph.

We have a 2006 Monaco Monarch SE 30PDD with TritonV10. We tow a Jeep Wrangler. Lifetime average is as of last night 8.1 MPG. I rarely exceed 60 MPH, having found that the engine seems to perform better at speeds of around 57-58 MPH.

We just got a 35' Winnebago, salesman told me 10 mpg but I knew better, I figured about 8 and that's what I read here.....We switched from a 33' 5th wheel with a 3500 4x4 Silverado D/A and that only got about 8-10 depending on the winds and hills ....so in the long run this will be cheaper to run.. :)

LAST TRIP , 20 FEB 2012, HUNTINGTON BEACH CA TO YUMA AZ IN OUR 2008 LEXINGTON 283 GTS TOWING JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA, ROUND TRIP 586 MILES / 74.25 GALS OF GAS / AVERAGE MPG 7.89, THAT GOING VIA I-8 UP THE GRADE! :wub:

We have an Allegro 28D and we got 7 on a recent trip from No Cal to Palm Springs, and back. (1300 mi) We did some climbing over a couple of Mt passes and we don't tow a car. And you are right about the areodynamics of a modern motorhome. When we were going into a stiff headwind across the desert, I had to push harder on the gas pedal and that makes a difference.

Just did a short trip of about 225 miles, from Las Cruces, NM to Albuquerque NM on I25. Its really hilly with several that are very steep. Figured out to be about 7.5. Haven't calculated return trip yet but I think it will be a little better.