hanko

Ford V10 Gas Mileage

Have a 37' Newmar Mtn Aire, 77,000 mi, ave 7.5 to 8.5, depending on the wind. Tow 07 Malibu LXT, run at 60 MPH, without using cruise, if I use cruise I get 7.0 or less.

Love the V-10, it is the smoothest running engine ever.

Have a 36' Daymon Daybreak, no toad. On a trip last fall Ottawa - Lake Superior and back - averaged 8.4 according to a Scanguage. Fully loaded weight on the trip was 300 lb under GVWR. Speed kept about 55 avg., fuel was 89 octane.

2011 Itasca Sunova 33C. 12,000 miles towing a 2001 Acura MDX. We drive 60 and average about 7. On the flat lands of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, etc, we got about 8 towing with my all time high of 8.8 on flat land with a 25mph tail wind.. Wind seems to be a bigger problem than towing. Recently did 4000 miles without the tow. Had no wind or weather going and got 8. Coming back on the same route, got 5.5 and had stiff headwinds all the way. Sorry to hear the meager improvement of the Banks Power pack as I was looking forward to warranty expiration to add it to mine.

How long have you had your Banks, what was your mileage before and did you notice any difference in performance? I am considering it when my warranty expires.

We recently completed a trip of 1200+ miles in our new Thor ACE 30.1. MPG at fill-ups ranged from 7.78 (battling a headwind) to 9.07, with an average for the trip of 8.45 mpg. No toad, traveled mostly at 65 on interstates, 55 on highways.

Just completed a trip across to CT from NM and back. Mileage ranged from 6.4 to 7.5, running at 65mph most of the time (except big hills) with a toad.

We travel in a 2010 Damon Challenger 371. Typically we see about 7 mpg when towing a Saturn Ion.

When not towing we have seen 8 mpg but that is with a tail wind.

To get better than 6-8 mpg I would recommend getting into a diesel pusher. I have a 32 ft with a Cummins ISB 275 towing a 1/2 ton Silverado and get between 10 and 11 mpg. Not the fastest up a steep hill but I get there!

Over 16,000 miles towing, not towing, up hill and down, we average 6.389. Highest mileage comes after buying gas in WV, must be lower ethanol content is all I can say. Driving to WV from NJ, about 6, home 7.5 same over all load, same roads, and speed. Not an isolated incident. at least 4 trips over 4 years from the same locale to home.

I log every tank and have current tank, 4 tank, 10 tank and overall mileage.

2005 Bounder 32W. Usually average very close to 7.5MPG. May see a little less towing in mountains, a little more where it's flat...but always in the mid 7s.

We have a 2006 Winnebago Aspect 26A. We just did a 2 week trip in Sept from Ft Lauderdale to the Grand Canyon and back. Average MPG for the trip was 8.8 MPG. No tow vehicle and mostly drove 65 MPH on Cruise Control and mostly the RPM's were at 2500.

2000 Rehall V25. I keep a spread sheet for fuel. I have found a 6.04% odometer error compared to the GPS. On a trip this year from Prescott,AZ to Moab,UT, Denver,CO, El Paso,TX, to Prescott I had 2049 odometer miles and 2172.8 GPS miles.

Travel at 58 - 6- 60 MPH by GPS, RPM range 2480 2500 with no tow. Odometer mileage was 9.85, GPS mileage was 10.45.

Interestingly some of the best mileage was climbing the Rockies on I70, something I have experienced several times with other vehicles over the last 10 years.

I too keep a spreadsheet. One for overall, every time I gas up, since purchasing the RV. I did a separate one for the Grand Canyon Trip and will probably do separate ones for any other major road trips.

But it is all strictly odometer. I don't use a GPS except when I get in an area where I am unsure or need a little extra directional help.

We have a 2003 35' Adventurer V-10 towing a 2007 Saturn Vue for 95000 milles coast to coast. We put the Banks system on to improve performance and raise the mpg about 0.4 to 7.92 mpg. We drive about 60 mph.

i drive a 1999 36' National Dolphin with the v-10. i was considering the Banks system to improve performance going up hills, not so much for fuel improvement. Dd you notice an improvement in torque, and was it worth the money for the system?

Traveled from Destin, FL to MA in 2013, 33' with GMC Terrain in tow. Averaged 7.6 - 9.1mpg. Set cruise at 57mph.

We just traded in two m-h's & bought a new Winnebago Vista 30T with a Ford V-10. We traded in an 05 Bigfoot 24DB with a V-10 & when pulling our 09 Jeep Wrangler we got about 8.5 mpg's. Not pulling we got 9.1. The other m-h we traded in was a 37 ft. 02 Gulfstream with a GM Workhorse chassis & surprisingly it got 10mpg not towing. I'll be glad to get 8mpg with the new Vista 30T.

While I don't have an Class A - I have a Class C - 2011 Itasca Cambria and just got back from a trip to St. Augustine Florida and back. The Cambria has the Ford V-10 and I was towing my Jeep Wrangler. Most of the time I was on I-95 with the cruise control on as I was taking my time I purposely went at different speeds between fill-ups to see the differences. MPG was simply calculated by dividing the odometer reading by gallons of gas. Going at 60-62 MPH I averaged 8.5 mpg. 65-67 MPH I got 7.6 mpg while the first day I got a late start and was making up for lost time and for the most part was at 70 MPH plus I averaged around seven.

I am wondering if any of these numbers mean anything. My GPS shows one speed and my Scan Gauge another speed. The speedometer needle covers several speeds. My Scan Gauge show a slightly different MPG Average than I get when I divide the Miles by Gallons. Also what factor does the tire size play into the equation I have brand new 18 inch tires thanks to he Michelin Tire Recall while many of the units discussed have 22 inch tires. Just some rambling . . .

Bob,

The most accurate is to check your odometer against mile markers. We just did this on the way back from Perry: On I 10 in Louisiana, noted reading at mile maker 100 and again at miles 0. I added .1 miles to the actual distance for lane changes. The difference is your calibration factor. BTW, it came out very close to the difference noted between GPS and speedometer.

Divide that number (accurate miles covered reading) by gallons added. Note that MPG on a single tank may not be accurate, as even a slight difference in level can make gallons of difference in fill on most large-tank applications. So, while we check each tank, we only record total trip MPG.

I use my GPS for accurate MPH. You can reset your miles to zero on your GPS when you fill up and check miles traveled on your next fill up. Then do the division as Brett said.

Herman

Bob,

The most accurate is to check your odometer against mile markers. We just did this on the way back from Perry: On I 10 in Louisiana, noted reading at mile maker 100 and again at miles 0. I added .1 miles to the actual distance for lane changes. The difference is your calibration factor. BTW, it came out very close to the difference noted between GPS and speedometer.

Divide that number (accurate miles covered reading) by gallons added. Note that MPG on a single tank may not be accurate, as even a slight difference in level can make gallons of difference in fill on most large-tank applications. So, while we check each tank, we only record total trip MPG.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to do that next trip. I also have to take advantage of the GPS feature of tracking MPG and re-reading the instructions on how to calibrate my Scan Gauge. Once I get them working and I will compare them against the actual mileage.

I remember the old days when I used to take the Police Cars to the get calibrated on a dyno at the county. Every one in a while we came across a car that the speedometer was off at a sliding scale in that at 70 it would be several miles per hour off. Don't know how much of an error there is on a GPS (as well as the RV) but I know the road doesn't change.