hanko

Ford V10 Gas Mileage

My 35 ft. Bounder now has 62,000 miles. Last trip was short and had some grade pulling to go thru. Average mpg was slightly over 7.... Flat road 65-70 mph driving I will squeeze 8 with a light load and two people... I just keep on "Keeping On".....

Its amazing what great mileage everyone here gets. My sons Adventurer never got more than 6.5 MPG and I have a 2009 Pace Arrow that only averages 6. I could squeeze out 6.5 if I kept it around 60 MPH.

Its amazing what great mileage everyone here gets. My sons Adventurer never got more than 6.5 MPG and I have a 2009 Pace Arrow that only averages 6. I could squeeze out 6.5 if I kept it around 60 MPH.

Welcome to the forum.

What you will learn is most are not driving the same coach. There is a large diversity in size weight and what year, as the Ford engines changed over the years. I think in the overall picture 5-10 is the range you will see reported.

I don't drive a gas coach now but I have checked my speedometer and found it was 5.8% slow. You might find you are getting better mileage than you thought but it might go the other way. I usually average about 10 tanks or fill ups to even out the driving conditions.

Bill

Drove my new-to-me 1999 Fleetwood Flair 30h 1500 miles last week towing a 16' enclosed trailer from Chicago to Mooresville, NC; averaged 7.5 mpg. Cruised between 60-65 mph.

3200 miles in April. Hyannis, Ma to Orlando, FL and back, 8.5 MPG @ 56-57 MPH going the inland route, 84/81/77/26E/95. 2010 Winne Access 31 with V10.

2005 HR with 33000 miles and just made a round trip to Florida & back to New Mexico on the full round trip I got 6.88 miles per gallon......The westbound leg was against a strong wind in Texas/NM.......Speed between 60 & 65 no interstate at all US 84 Eastbound and US 82 Westbound.....3600 miles total on trip........

Mike

We purchased this 32 1/2' RV with about 15,000 miles on it. This 2008 Ford Hurricane came with the Ford Triton V10. The coach is fully packed for the road and was weighed at the scales and verified to be under maximum loads on both axels and under total weight. We put on six new new tires and have completed 3 short roundtrips so far (70 mile; 250 mile; 900 mile) and just completed our 3rd gas fill up. I must be driving way too fast, 60 - 65 mph on local and open road highways then like a snail 20 -30 mph on roads with lots of curves or while in the mountains. The sad story is we have been getting just over 5 mpg on each of the last two trips, our first fill up was after an unknown amount of mileage. I wasn't expecting much but I was hoping for around 10 mpg. The most important fact of all is that were having a blast and love retirement! :)

We have a Coachmen Mirada 35DL 36 1/2 feet long. It has a little over 2,500 miles on it right now. During the Christmas Holidays we drove from the Houston Area down to Mission, Texas looking for warm weather. It was about 800 miles round trip. Driving down to Mission we averaged 6.7 miles also running the generator. Coming back we averaged 5.5 miles per gallon also using the generator. Coming back we fought the headwind from a cold front the was moving down. It really reduced the mpg.

Jaime

Unfortunately head winds will really reduce your mileage. They can also be very tiring especially if quartering or side winds. I have spent another day rather than fight a front.

Bill

2011 Southwind 32vs, towing a HHR, cruising at gas save mode, 2000 rpm at 58mph I get 8.2 and when gas is cheaper, usually in the mid-west, I tack 2400rpm and 65 mph and get 7.5-7.8 mpg. There is a happy spot my coach likes and that's at 2200 rpm's . Also added a high flow muffler and banks headers. sounds great and climbs any hill with little effort.

My 2004 F-53 30Q Hurricane gets between 6.5 and 9 depending on the wind. Did get 10 one time, had a really good wind pushing.

Bet you didn't know that your MH is a sailboat too.

410710118.jpg

Happy Trails, Just Another Old Doggy, Don

Almost universal is 7.5. Got to be massive conspiracy between mfr and petrol companies

I am sure the oil companies and the manufacture got together and created the physics that cause this problem. Moving a BIG, HEAVY box down the road takes energy.

Bill

I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 37' PCT and tow a 2011 Honda CRV, and I live in the Southwest, I average 6.8 to 7.5 MPG. Keep your fluid filter changed and you'll see the difference.

We have 1999 35 foot Bounder with a Banks System. We tow a Saturn SL1. I drive the speed limit, 60 some times, 55 in California where that is the speed limit. After about 14,000 miles (we bought this four years ago), we average 7.98 MPG. That includes Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Montana (Glacier). We are satisfied with those numbers. Better that we got with the 454 in our 1986 Honey 34 footer.

I use my GPS for accurate MPH. You can reset your miles to zero on your GPS when you fill up and check miles traveled on your next fill up. Then do the division as Brett said.

Herman

Same here. Our '05 Bounder 32W does about 7 +/- a tenth or 3 depending on winds, hills, towing the Chevy Tracker etc. Two years ago I put new Hankook AH11 truck tires on it replacing the original Goodyears. The Hankooks track much truer and have a smoother ride, but I my mileage was less by 2 or 3 tenths. Measuring against the GPS several times over long periods I figured that the new tires have larger circumference...meaning that my the mileage shows less on the odometer than it used to for the same distance driven. So as Herman says.. check your mileage on GPS and against the mile markers as was suggested.

I to have checked my speedometer for errors. I have a Banks IQ that will do a calibration check. It checks indicated speed against GPS speed. My speedometer was slow. I have to multiply by 5.8% to get actual GPS speed and mileage.

Bill

We have a 1999 Bounder 34V that weighs about 20,000lbs ready for the road. It has about 42,000 miles. We bought it in 2012 and have put on about 12,000 miles. We tow a 2002 Saturn SL1 behind it all the time. I am the odd-ball, as I run the truck speed limits and sometimes less. I usually run at about 55-57. Over all those miles we average almost exactly 8.0 (varies from 7.9-8.15 per trip, mostly long, 2500+ round trip). As this rig is so oooold, we have the small V10 which has only 275hp. I added a Banks system as soon as I bought it, before even one trip, so I can't compare before and after, but it runs pretty well up the Grapevine in California and Cabbage Hill in Oregon.

Our previous rig was a 1986 34ft Class A Honey. It weighed 14,000lbs ready for the road. It had a 454, and the mileage was,, without a Banks, about 7.0, and about 7-9 mph slower going up the same hills.

There are so many variables in rigs and drivers that one can't really compare one to another.

2012 Canyon Star 3856 (39 feet) towing a 2009 Scion xB and I am a full timer. I get about 7.2 average--and I have a Banks full system (chip, intake and exhaust).

Edited by tetonchief

OK, I have a 2014 Fr3 with the higher torque v8 and I get about 7.5 pulling a Fiat. Usually do about 65 with it. If I encounter any hills at all it drops down 2 gears if cruise is on. Forget about gas mileage if I do this. If I keep it off cruise and keep it from down shifting , I get 7 to 8. with cruise on, 6 to 6.5 Heard of something (chip) to keep trans from downshifting--- has anyone seen this anywhere. Sure would like to find one. If you do my email is: lnf1966@yahoo.com

Please let me know where I can get one.

OK, I have a 2014 Fr3 with the higher torque v8 and I get about 7.5 pulling a Fiat. Usually do about 65 with it. If I encounter any hills at all it drops down 2 gears if cruise is on. Forget about gas mileage if I do this. If I keep it off cruise and keep it from down shifting , I get 7 to 8. with cruise on, 6 to 6.5 Heard of something (chip) to keep trans from downshifting--- has anyone seen this anywhere. Sure would like to find one. If you do my email is: lnf1966@yahoo.com

Please let me know where I can get one.

I don't have personal experience with the 5Star but have read good reports. Look at what Banks has to offer to.

http://5startuning.com/got-a-v10-rv/

http://bankspower.com/products/show/342/59

http://bankspower.com/app/index/22#

Bill

I had the Banks trans control module and engine chip in our last coach (V10 Ford chassis) it still down shifted, just not as frequent since the engine was producing more HP and torque. I will say it shifted much better with it, it stopped hunting for gears and the shifts were tight and quick, unlike before where it would slip each shift.

I have a 2012 Class C Coachman Freelander, model 26QB. We just completed a 1200 mile round trip from Long Island to Delaware to Buffalo and back on which we experienced an average of 6.75mpg. I'm somewhat disappointed in that however I was carrying a heavy load and climbing up through the Pocono's probably had something to do with the poor mileage.