Sign in to follow this  
hteal@earthlink.net

Vented or Ventless

We are currently considering adding a washer/dryer combo unit to our '97 Kountry Star motorhome since we will be living in it fulltime for at least three months due to my wife's job. Which would be our best choice vent or ventless.

Also the space for the combo has never been plumbed but does have 110 electric. Any considerations here? Does anyone have experience with Camping World installing one of these?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi hughteal,

Welcome to the forum. We have the vented model. It works as advertised. Vented is the only kind of W/D I would install. It's just like your dryer at the stick house. Vent it to the outside to get all the humid/hot air out of the coach. The small bits of fuzz also goes out the vent.

I have had both vented and non vented. The non vented (condensation) dryer uses cold water to condence the moisture while drying therefore filling your holding tank. The non vented unit never completely dries your clothes. The manual will tell you to take the items out of the dryer , shake them out and then hang them up to complete drying.

I went to a seminar at Perry and the speaker confirmed this. Personnaly I like having the vented unit. I do a load every couple of days while in a park. Because the dryer is only 110 it takes longer to dry , usually 1 hr. Just a hint : because the spin cycle is quite powerfull it is a good idea to shake out the clothes before you start the dryer. It helps with the wrinkles. Just don't overload the machine. :rolleyes:

Here is one more vote for the vented dryer. We had a non-vented dryer in our '94 Dynasty and it was really poor at drying the clothes and it does use water to cool the jacket which goes into the gray water tank. The vented dryer is slower at drying than a home dryer but so much better than a non-vented that I would only consider the non-vented if the price difference were huge.

Installation is a consideration as you will have to cut through the wall of the coach to install the vent. This might be a job for a professional. You wouldn't want to cut into a structural member in the coach wall. They should have a way, manufacturer information, a means to test for structural members, or the experience to know how to work their way through the wall without causing undue damage. Unless you know what you are doing, I would let the pros do the installation.

You will have to add hot and cold water and the drain as well. My experience with Camping World is that you are working with people who are very experienced at working with RV's. I have had to have minor corrections made to work done by them but nothing really serious. Your dealer/manufacturer might also be able to do a capable job of installation.