Sign in to follow this  
KenandSallyWarner

V10 Oil Change

I find that when I remove the oil drain plug the oil hits the axle and makes a big mess. Do you have a suggestion? The filter oil hits the axle also.

In the March issue of MotorHome magazine on page 54 is Easy Oil Change Valve that you could slip a plastic hose over the outlet and it should work great.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for any help.

Ken and Sally, before our motor home, we had a 2002 GMC Duramax and had a similar problem with draining the oil. I bought a quick drain valve, with nipple from http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ .

You need the nipple option to be able to have a place to attach the drain hose. The quick drain valve made it a little slower to drain the oil, but the ease and lack of mess was worth it.

You will note that the valve is a 1/4 turn ball valve and you have to lift the valve handle slightly to clear an indent to allow the valve to be opened. I took a small worm clamp and tightened it above the handle to give a little extra security against the valve opening accidently. I then had to remove the worm clamp before I could open the drain valve.

The valve will extend below the oil pan further than the OEM drain nut. Be aware of this. You wouldn't want to run over something and break off the quick drain valve. Our GMC had skid plates as an option and they extended below the quick drain valve.

Sam

I took an empty 2 liter coke bottle and cut the spout off and sliced it down the middle. I wrap it around my axle and dump the oil on top of it. The oil runs off into the catch pan. Same with filter.