Sign in to follow this  
ronwall

RV Insurance For Fultimer. Currently Have It Under Auto Insurance

We just started fultiming. In January my drivers license and tags are due. We are from Michigan but will be making Florida our home state. We have Good Sams mail service.

My question is, what insurance to buy for the RV and toad. Currently we have Auto Owners and have been happy with it, but from what I have read we really need RV Insurance like Good Sam's or an insurance that specializes in RV's

Does anyone have any suggestions or stories of experiences?

Thank you.

Many insurance companies that write insurance on vehicles, cars trucks and RVs, also can provide what is called "full timer" policies for the RV. Many others do not have the "full timer" policies available. The "full timer" policies include the liability coverage that one normally has through a homeowner's policy. When we went full time in our RV I simply asked our previous insurance carrier if they could write a similar policy with the "full timer" coverage in the state of Florida, where we were changing our domicile, and found they could not. Then it was a search for a new provider who had the "full timer" policy option and I found several to request quotes from. It took a few phone calls and emails but was not that hard to accomplish. Good Sam being a part of the Infinity Group will help you get the type of coverage you need but most likely only from their in house companies. One of the brokers I called was Farm and City Insurance who were able to give me quotes from several companies. The ones I remember from several years ago were Progressive, Nationwide, GMAC, and a couple others. Once I had quotes to compare, I chose one and applied for the coverage on our RV and toad. Since then I have changed to a different provider due to rate increases and have also changed back to regular RV insurance since we now have a homeowner's policy that gives us the needed liability coverages.

Do not confuse RV insurance like the Good Sam VIP road service insurance with "full timer's" insurance or you might get a nasty surprise when you try to register your RV or when there is an accident claim. This is not meant to imply that you might not want to have a good roadside coverage policy that will help you in case of a breakdown or flat tire while you travel. Just do not expect one policy to provide both and do a good job for you.