Sign in to follow this  
pattexaco

Waxing the RV

I found this on another forum, so here goes: Another of the gazillon uses of wax/ways to wax RV.

It is called "Witches Brew" by the poster: One cup of liquid Turtle wax, one cup of distilled water and 1 tablespoon of Dawn liquid soap. After cleaning rv, spray this on and wipe off before it drys. Suppose to leave a great coating and shine.

What say you? Has anyone used this concoction or heard of it?

I do mine twice a year, using Protect-All (a synthetic, not carnuba). This one is painted, but the previous one was fiberglass with decals, like yours. Seems to do fine in the Florida sun and elsewhere.With regular polishing, yout coach should stay great looking for years, except for the decals. Not much can help them - they dry out and fade in the sun after several years. Getting wax on them can actually be counter-productive.

I have used 303 on my decals for 10 years to preserve them as long as possible. Product works very good. However my coach is a 93 and now the decals have reached the end of their useful life. Going to have the coach painted to correct the problem.

I use a similar formula and it works great. Have many friends using the same formula. It is: 32 oz. distilled water; 16 oz bottle of cheap turtle wax; 1 teaspoon Dawn Diswashing Soap; 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice. Shake well so polish doesn't settle to the bottom. Your formula is much more concentrated than mine, but mine works great also and it is cheap!! Don't be afraid to try it. Good Luck.

Ref.waxing.

There is a product called RED MAX #3. Buy at Lowes. Clean wax off RV,apply with rag.4 coats. It does not make a differencehow it is applied-- up down, circle, back and forth. First coat looks streaky, but after 3 coats you say not bad,4th coat you say WOW. Decals look new and shiny. It drys like a clear coat.

Apply one coat once a year.

I have an 2004 allegro bay and it looks new.

1 gal.of red max is enough $ 15.00 to 16.00. for my Allegro Bay 37ft.

I also have used the Red Max floor polish last March on our 2002 Ambassador. It still has a high polish shine after nine months and cleans very easily. I prepped the surface using Bar Keepers Friend liquid paste and a buffer applicator, washed it off and once dry applied the Red Max with a high quality microfiber towel. Three coats was enough to produce an outstanding shine. It will run if too much is applied and it's a bear to remove them. I applied to all surfaces including door and window frames, awning covers and mirror arms and housings. I did not apply to rubber window gaskets or glass. It does not seem to damage vinyl moldings or decals. I did my whole coach in one weekend including the prep and all coatings. I set up a scaffold one side at a time to do the upper half and the lower half from the ground. I am extremely happy with the results.

Pete & Bobbi

2002 38 HR Ambassador PBT

2009 HHR Toad

Guest DadRVcooker

I would stay away from anything that involves kitchen soap. You risk damaging your RV. Better to spend the money on a quality product like a Meguiars, Mother's, ProtectAll or 3M product. It's pricey, but better to use the correct product rather than something off the kitchen sink. Gelcoat and Fiberglass were not meant for Dawn Soap. I would also refer to these guys: http://www.gAuto.com/, when it comes to waxing or washing RVs. Lot's of reputable and knowledge detailers who specialize in this kind of thing. They also have some helpful FAQ's when it comes to RV detailing.

Even if you are a " Do it Yourself " type of person it's best to learn from the Professionals with anything " detailing ".