Sign in to follow this  
johntelling

Driver's Seat Offset

My 2005 Fleetwood Excursion's driver's seat is offset to the left by about 4". This means that. if my body is centered in the seat, the steering wheel and the pedals are 4" to my right instead of being right in front of me. The only reason I can think of that Fleetwood might have done this is to make more space between the seats. I find myself sitting way over to the right to compensate, which gets old when driving hundreds of miles.

A side issue is that the driver's seat won't rotate all the way because it is too close to the side of the vehicle. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I overly sensitive?

JT

John,

Another possibility is that yours is uniquely installed. Might find a convenient measuring point-- say wall to outboard edge of seat mounting plate and ask others with the same coach to measure theirs.

You could also call Fleetwood and discuss this and what would be involved in centering it (if it is even possible).

Brett

John, you might lay down and look under your seat at the pedestal. Look to see if the base plate or seat mounting plate are centered. If not check to see if it is offset to the left or right. There is a possibality that the base was installed incorrectly. I tryed to move a barrel chair in our first coach and the bolts were mounted to a plate under the floor (Seat belt safety) making it almost impossiable to relocate. If your seat post is mounted off centered and the base plate is square you may be able to rotate the mount. But beware that the locking pin works off the post and may not lock correctly if moved.

You could always just lean to the right. :lol:

Thanks, Herman, I will peak underneath the seat with that new knowledge!

As far as leaning to the right, I thought we were not supposed to talk about politics on this forum!

If it is not possible to move the base over to center it, the post can be cut and rewelded in the correct alignment and the base remounted in it's original position. We have done this several times in our business over the last 30 or so years. Early Pace Arrows were famous for this.

This may sound dumb but I would check to make sure the seat is level from side to side. If the seat is low on the left side you may be able to loosen it and simply shim it with washers on the left side. That may get you closer to the center.

I would not shim it with washers if the floor is not steel. I have seen this done on plywood floors and the washers just sink into the wood. Make a solid wedge shim that covers the entire base out of wood. We have also done this several times over the years.

Thanks for that response! I think that is what I am going to have to try to get done. When you say that you have done it, I ssume that you are in the repair business? Any idea who I might approach in the Sacramento, CA area to get this done?

Thanks,

JT

Any good Welding Shop should be able to do it for you. I had to lower my seats as when the wife and I sat in any seat her feet would not touch the floor and I barely could reach the floor. We unbolted the seats and removed the mounts from the floor and took them to a local welding shop and they removed 3" from each post. We reinstalled them and now every one is happy. It did require both of us to remove the mounting bolts, one inside and me under the coach or in the storage compartments depending on which of the four seats we were working on.