Sign in to follow this  
GailyFwd

Storage For Spare Tire

We have our spare tire stored in one of our cargo bays. Of course, it's taking up a great deal of the bay. I've looked underneath the coach and noticed towards the back there are a couple of steel looking beams where I could possibly mount a bracket.

However, I am not sure of the type of bracket to look for or the best way to mount it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

What size tire do you have? I have always carried a spare in the last 35 years and 10 motorhomes ago. You have to build support brackets hold the tire and wheel with some cross members with 4 lug bolts so that I secure it solid. The problem of lifting it into position was solved by installing a 1500 lb 12 volt winch above the assembly and I have a push button control up and down.

Sorry for the typo. I tried to correct it and the more I tried the worse it got. When I tried to insert new letters it would elliminate the next letter.

If you are at Indianapolis I would be glad to show the latest version.

I believe a spare tire for the coach is important. And I certainly didn't want to lose space in a bay for one. We tow a full size Ford van and our spare tire (no rim) is mounted over one of the van's rear wheel wells, sandwiched between the wall and two folding tables. Space otherwise wasted. Of course this won't work if towing a sedan.

Having a tire only means much easier handling. Any tire service truck can change rims in the field, but many won't have the size tire you need that day.

Chuck

I had the same problem with all six coaches I have owned, so made one for myself; that turned in to a new business. Check out my web site http://asparetire.com

We also will offer free shipping to any FMCA member. Please email us for a code you can use at checkout.

Frank