Sign in to follow this  
kellyfrank

Torn Between 507 TST And The Tire Safeguard?

Hello.

We just bought a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star with 29,000 miles and will be taking our first trip in April to Disney. The previous owner talked several times about tire blowouts and the importance of tire maintenance. I am about to get a tire monitoring system for Christmas,

I was all set to buy the TST 507 system with the user-friendly battery replacment. I then came across the Tire Safeguard system in this month's article with the ability to add air without removing the sensor.

Does anyone have pros or cons on either system?

I never realized there was so much about load weight, corner load, axle load. I am just about in overload myself just trying to figure out what I should use for tire pressure ... lol

Thank you,

Frank from Mass

I have used the TST for a number of years and it works well except for a problem with tire transmitters failing early. At the Madison convention TST admitted having had problems with sensors in the past and they exchanged my remaining sensors free of charge.

Hopefully the early sensor failure has been corrected with their new sensors.

Hi we purchased the 507 system in the spring and so far we are very happy with it. I like the user replaceable batteries more than having flow thru sensors. Rather have both if possible... The 507 sensor is simple to remove if you have to add pressure, but if your tires are in good shape the need to add pressure should only be seasonal anyway. Whatever your choice I agree with having a system, it's great to see your coach and toad's pressure on the monitor in the morning before you hit the road and it's a comfort to see it while driving down the road.

One thing I did for the first month was to do a comparison check each week to see if the monitor/sensor at each tire was remaining consistent with a tire gauge.

Hello: I attended the RV boot camp put on by the Escapee's in Livingston, TX. last week.

Neil LeKander, an expert on tire safety, had a special conference on tires etc. He would only endorse the Pressure Pro for a tire monitoring system and went into details on why. He also liked the Smart Tire system but they went out of business. So today I went to PPL here in Houston and purchase a 12 station monitor and all the sensors for my coach and tow. Not cheap ( $900 ) with all the sensors, antenna etc. The tech at PPL also agreed that this was the best unit on the market today - I plan on getting it intalled next week and give feedback. Hope this helps - Clarence Lacy

Thank you. Did he have an attachment to the PPL?

I really like the write up they did in FMCA mag. i just wish they would have included the TST as I did a lot of research and the one issue I had that the Safeguard had was the air pass thru on the sensor.

Thank you again.

I was mistaken - I had to order direct from Press Pro - I bought the Ran McNalley GPS system at PPL - Neil did not mention any one company to get the Press Pro - Neil really liked the tire sensors as they were the most reliable and accurate that he had tested. I was very impressed with Neil's backgroung - 32 yr. career with a major tire company - graduate mechanical engineer specializing in maintnance - he has driven over 300,000 miles in different size RV coaches. Should I say more. He really impressed me and fielded all the questions with authority. Clarence

Purchased the TireSafeGuard/Tyron system for new Phaeton 42' last August and it's never read all 12 pressures consistently. Lots of doubletalk from installing dealer re "it works, it's broke, it needs to go back etc"....after 6k miles, the dealer decided it was broke and sent the monitor back to Tyron (leaving the system void for 30 days)..reinstalled and said it's fixed (not)...then decided the system was supposed to have a signal booster installed (claims Tyon states any coach over 38 needs the booster)....

Tyron refuses to answer emails requesting return and refund, period. Dealer, at this point, sends out the booster saying have the booster installed and we'll pay the labor. Local RV tech sez he will not install and take on the liability. Thus far, 8000 miles and still a non-working system !!

I agree with Bill UNLESS he thinks you will make him guarantee that the booster will make the system work to your satisfaction. That would be a different matter.

Brett