Larry196

Ghost Towns for 2012

Question

Has anyone ran across a good web page or a good publication listing ghost towns??

I tried Google and the info is sketchy to say the least.

I would like to plan our travels in 2012 around ghost towns and need locations in order to plot our course.

I would hate to drive hundreds of miles only to find a pile of boards.

Larry and Rita

4 answers to this question

Herman

Thanks for the link looks interesting. One thing though I can't get it to open up. I like old things like that.

Herman,

I've subscribed to Legends for a couple of years.

I used to get an e-mail monthly and looked forward to reading it.

I found a metal detecting site that lists a ton of towns.

Larry

Wow, the legends site looks great! Everything on the site seems to be working fine so w6pea should give it another try. We toured Rhyolite in Nevada several years ago and we've bummed around lots of old gold mining and other mine sites. We enjoy finding the old relics of civilization. There is an old mercury mine in Big Bend National Park that we really enjoyed. It is on the 50 mile 4WD road along the Rio Grande. I didn't see it listed on the site but I did just give it a quick review. We also enjoyed the many mine sites in Joshua Tree National Monument and also in Death Valley. Another site that seems to be missing, of the best ghost towns, is in Alaska, Kennicott in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. It is operated by the NPS. You can stay in the bunk house while you enjoy touring the area. Great old mining town that was the beginning of the Kennicott Copper Company which operates many modern mines in the western US.