moodier

Fueling Problem-- 93 F350 class C

My 93 LD refuses to take fuel the pump nozzle shuts off instantly!! FIll etc hoses are OK but, In probing with a wire in fill opening find that there seems to be a metal blockage?? about 6" into the fill line in tank! Due to position of opening can't see in! Initially I was able to get it to take fuel by removing a small vacuum line? that went to the 2 canisters along the front frame. This worked for about 3K miles then wondered if that is some sort of check valve in entrance to the tank which is shutting off the fuel access to tank! Seems only way to get to it would be to remove the tank and maybe get access thru the fuel pump opening? Talked to several shops out here but no one seems to have any idea of fix! WIth all the F350s out there someone else must have had this problem. Incidentally this is Lazy Daze with the single 54 gal tank!

Sure would appreciate any help you could suggest!!!!Thanks

Moodier! Just got to read your post ! My first coach was a Class C and it was on a Ford chassis. I had the same problem when fueling up.

The problem was in the vent line, there was a dip in the rubber line that was lower then the fuel level after the tank was 3/4 full.

This allowed fuel to run into the vent line when full,the fuel would block the vent and incoming fuel would blow back and trip the filler nozzle, so fulling WAS A Pain.

Got to believe you have the same problem,getting to things connected to the filler area is not easy. You mention that you unit has vapor canisters in this vent line. I'm thinking that fuel is traped in them and blocking the venting air.

Do not recommend you do this on a permanent bases, but if you can get to the rubber vent line that is connected to the top of the gas tank(it will be right neck to the filler line) and remove it,Then see if it fills much faster.

This will cause your check engine light to come on, if you chassis has a closed loop system with a a purge cycle for the vapors. Like the loose gas cap issue.

Hope this points you in the right direction. D.M.

Hi:

Thanks for the reply!

Actually solved the problem!! Deep in the tank there is a check valve that was sticking! Had to pull the tank then get fuel pump out and actually cut this valve out of the tank-- quite a job and riduculous for it to be there!! No more fuelling problem!

Don't know what they were thinking-- this thing was about a foot into the tank!! There is no way to disable the thing either!! Someone had already removed the one in the filler pipe but it also had this one too! Anyway so far no further fueling problems

Thanks for the reply!!!