Sign in to follow this  
markawithak

Advice on Buying '98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor

Hello, I am new to the forum and r.v.ing.

I am looking for some advice with a possible purchase of a 1998 Holiday Rambler with a 5.9 Cummins Diesel with 48,000 miles. The coach is in excellent condition. It has the Onan 7500 diesel generator with only 160 hours, exhaust brake, extra cooler in the basement. The coach was stored indoors when not in use. It looks like I might be able to purchase this coach for $34,000 to $36,000. I am new to the class A world and don’t have any experience. My major concern is when driving this coach on the expressway at 65mph it starts to wander in the lane. From what I have read on the internet this is pretty common and can be assisted with a number of different aftermarket products. I was wondering what all of you have experienced of your years of driving these rigs. Is wandering actually that common, and do any of the after market products actually work?

Also, any advice on anything to look out for on a coach that is pushing 14 years old would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Mark,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

When looking at any older coach, two things I would suggest:

1. Look over service records-- be they loose receipts, in a book or on their computer. A well maintained 14 year old DP is barely broken in as far as the chassis is concerned. BUT, if it has been neglected-- well, no different than any other machine.

2. Pay for someone (or more than one person) skilled in chassis AND house systems to go over the coach-- preferably with you there. It is important for you to know now only what they find wrong, but for the two of you to be able to discuss recommended maintenance and be able to talk out what is within your skill level and what things you will need for others to do.

I would also suggest that condition and maintenance through the years is more important than selling price. I would far rather see someone get a good coach at higher price than for them to think they were getting a bargain because of low price on one that has been neglected.

BTW, our coach is a 1993, so a 1998 "ain't" that old!

Brett

Class A motor homes in my experience tend to wander more than cars. There are several reasons but I can tell you that if you buy one that does it will be tiring to drive. My previous motor home did that and I spent countless thousands and countless hours trying to improve it. I was only partially successful. My advise to you is to buy a motor home that steers well to start with.

Since it is a "sticks and staples" type of motorhome on a truck chassis, and after confirming the front end alignment and/or rebuild, maybe you could look into one of the aftermarket steering stabilizers offered to the RV market like this one from Roadmaster

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.html

Also, I have been reading articles in the FMCA magazine about S&S type of motorhome suspensions bring overloaded right from the factory, it may have a broken rear spring, or worn out already bushings, get it on a rack and look under it really well.

Take a quick look also for Converted Busses, for $30K you could find a really really nice Conversion on a chassis thats made to last a Million miles, built like a fort, and returns many smiles and random "thumbs-up" wherever you go!

Mike Siebert F421097

Portland OR

1948 Gillig

I would say, in addition to Brett's suggestions, that my experience with a '99 HR Endeavor 37' coach on the Freightliner XC chassis (almost identical to the '98 models) is that there is a little road wander if the coach's front alignment is reasonably close to specs but on ours, changing from the original Michelin 235x85R22.5 tires to Hankook 255x70R22.5 tires made a huge difference in handling. There was also a big increase in load capacity of the tires which allowed me to run somewhat lower air pressures based upon actual corner weights of the coach. The lowering of air pressure made for a much improved ride and the wider and lower profile tires practically eliminated any road wander. Many manufacturers build on the newer Freightliner XC chassis which can have the 255x70R22.5 Goodyear G670 tires and the outside diameter and revolutions per mile are almost identical so that on my coach the speedometer was actually more accurate, compared to GPS speed display, after making the tire size change.

They have after market front end stabalizers around $300.00 -$500.00. Very Very Effective. Also check all your tie rods, ball joints, and if they are greased well. Just being low on grease will make your motor home drift. Just Grease. But at that mileage , it is probably due for new tie rods ect. But the Stabilizers are excellent.

Good Luck Fellow Camper.

P.S. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR RIG SO WHEN I SEE YOU COMING I CAN GET OUT OF THE WAY.

' )