banditfritz

Rand McNally GPS Needs Better Instructions

I have used a Garmin and Magellan GPS in the past. It seemed easier to register the units than with Rand McNally. They put you through too many hoops and loops.

They are very lacking in giving operating instructions in the manual. Like most manuals, they are printed in a number of languages. If they only had the English version, we might get more detailed instructions. I am disappointed in my Rand McNally RVND 7710. I can't figure it out because of the lack of a detailed operating manual.

I do not believe I have seen a very positive review on any forum to date. I believe I will stick with my DeLorme Street Atlas on my laptop for trip planning.

I received my 7710 today. I am not impressed by my first few hours of working with it. The RVND software installation process for the computer was flawed. Without medium computer skills I don't think it would have been successful. When I finally got the install started, it gave me no choice of where to install or where the initial backup was to be created. Once installed, the registration process has failed multiple times. I finally went to the website to register, thinking maybe it would communicate the change to the GPS which was still connected, but so far no joy. After three hours there has been no auto-reply from the website about the registration. The RVND opening screen has a button which says updates are available, but selecting it brings up a message stating no updates are available. Then the button is greyed out. Same thing again upon reboot.

I was hoping for at least as much success as the maker's video shows, but not so far. My office has windows to the east and south, but I get no 7710 GPS signals here. All of the other GPSs I've owned worked fine from my desk, as does a USB GPS receiver. I walked outside with it and it only indicates 3 satellites, my position is wrong by 3000 feet and the elevation is off by 800 feet.

A big yellow card came with the unit warning that first time use could take 15 minutes to syncronize, but after an hour there's been no change.

Another area of concern is the issue of updates. Some vendors are selling the unit with free upgrades for life. My vendor didn't mention it one way or the other. Now I see in the online manual faqs that when the current map expires you can purchase future map updates for a nominal fee estimated to be $89.00. If this is correct I'm ok with it, but it would have been nice to know upfront.

Anyone here already been through this stage? Any tips? Tomorrow might be time for the part of technology I hate the most - calling tech support.

As an early adopter of things new I have come to expect some pain, but it's not looking too good right now for this one. I hope I'm wrong.

Guest BillAdams

Love my old 2005 Garmin 2720. Have no plans of giving it up until they pry it from my cold dead hands (or when I stop full-timing).

To those that are complaining about the 7710 manual, have you downloaded the manual that is available from the dock after you have registered your product? It's 155 pages and one of the best I've ever seen.

To those that are complaining about the 7710 manual, have you downloaded the manual that is available from the dock after you have registered your product? It's 155 pages and one of the best I've ever seen.

When I click on "Manual" I get a message saying "There was an error downloading the manual. Please try again later." The same thing happens on another computer, so I doubt its a communications problem.

Did you happen to get a link for the manual? I can't find a listing on their web site.

------------------------------------------------------------

ON EDIT:

Success! I uninstalled and re-installed the software on both computers after finding a note on the net about a mis-print in the instructions included with the unit. The new installation now allowed me to register the unit through the TripMaker rather than the web site. Once I registered, after about 10 minutes the unit started working. It even went from only 2 satellites to an average of 9. Altitude and position now seem correct. I'm feeling much better about it now.

Testing to come...

If you check on the IRV2 forum there seems to be quite a few people that are pretty happy with the 7710, lots of information there on registration process, (there was a mistake in the printed instructions), a pretty detailed manual download (as newbie stated), the free map updates and a vendor that has a pretty good price. Hope Santa brings me one!

I purchased my 7710 at the Madison Rally and received it in October. I had to work with tech support a couple of times but they were great! Other than the operator errors, I have had no problems with it. Have gone on several trips without any problems.

I got mine home from CW this afternoon. I opted for the $ 349 model with the lifetime map updates. There is also the option of buying it without ($315) and paying for updates as you need them. I let the battery charge for a bit, hooked it up to my little ACER notepad and got registered without too much trouble.

Took about 15 minutes to load the "dock" files and install them. I'm no computer geek - I just followed the prompts and it worked out. The instruction manual that comes with the unit is pretty skimpy when it comes to showing how to program in trips but I'll download the full manual from the web site. They should have included the full 156 page instruction manual in the box rather than requiring you download it.

This is my first GPS. I'm sure there will be some learning curve but so far I like what I see. I loaded my RV information, reviewed the defaults for warnings and even entered a couple of locations. I'll work with it more tomorrow. The big test will come when I pick up my "new" motor home in Wisconsin, head to South Dakota and then return to Tucson. I'll have my "dinosaur GPS" (road atlas) by my side anyway.

Hi Guy"s,

I've had my 7710 for about 4mo. now and from day one all I can say that it work fine,maybe you are to fast strolling through your instruction manual.

Mine works great inside or out, love it. Would like to help you if we were closer.

We got the R-M GPS about a year and a half ago and have been less than satisfied with it. The RV or car option, shortest route or faster route options don’t seem to make any difference as often times, on the shortest route, rv option, it has taken us on a long, circuitous route that had we simply traveled a little further forward, then turned, we would of been in the same place. It is as if they combined together several different data bases but did not integrate them well at all.

On one occasion while traveling in PA, we had the GPS on RV option but yet, it took us on a country road with a bridge 2 feet lower that the coach height - fortunately there was a side street we could get off on. It OFTEN TIMES gets the location mixed up as to what side of the street the business is on... As mentioned, we have had it for over a year and have had no updates - have checked but none offered.

When will be shopping around for another GPS unit.

I have the RVND manual on my iPad in PDF format. It resides in the "books" icon and I can easily look things up in it. I also have a manual for a Magellan and doesn't come close to the completeness of the RM manual.