chucknewman

Installing a Water Softener

I finally pulled out my old, highly calcified hot water heater and replaced it. Eliminated or replaced other components in the system and now all is well again.

Researching this and other forums made it clear that a water softener will prevent this calcium build up again. Particularly with very hard water we seem to find at most locations. Thanks to other posts, I realize I need one that is easily accessed for salt charging, and use quick disconnect brass fittings.

From the little installation data on the web it is clear most of the units are basically the same:

Water in.

Water out.

Brine drain.

My question is about the "brine drain". Depending on the manufacturer, they recommend draining the unit for anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes when recharged with salt. Someone locally told me to drain to the gray tank. That would be easy for me since the unit will sit permanently next to the gray tank, and the top of the gray tank is exposed for tube or hose installation. Those of you with RV water softeners, is this the typical installation? Do you just drill a hole in the top of the gray tank and silicone seal a fitting in it for the brine drain? Or is there a better way?

Any other tips or tricks on this subject are greatly appreciated.

Chuck

I didn't do either one.

Our water softener is a small blue tank with a hose inlet and a hose outlet. When we travel, I half fill the fresh water tank with soft water. When we get to a semi-permanent location, I connect the water supply to the water softener with as much hose as is need to get to the water softener at the coach. I then connect the water softener to the inlet on the coach with a 3 foot hose.

I have found that recharging is need about once a month. The steps are: 1. Shut off water supply. 2. Release pressure. 3. Open top of softener and pour in 1 pound of non-iodized table salt (the least expensive I can buy, usually $0.39). 4: I connect a different short hose that has a shut off valve from the outlet of the softener to the black tank flush or you could use a short hose to the sewer drain. 5: Open supply. 6. Open valve to back flush for 15 minutes. 7. Close backflush valve. 8: Shut off supply. 9. Disconnect hose to back flush. 10. Reconnect 3 foot hose to coach. 11. Turn on supply.

This system is not automatic, but works very well and is economical.