Sign in to follow this  
MichaelCanode

After BG convention, how about aviation history?

Question

6 June 09 22:45

Hello, FMCA Friends!

This topic popped up a little too late to include in FMC magazine before the Convention, but I present it here in the hope that some members may find it interesting. Around 160km / 100 mi. south of Bowling Green, on US Route 68, there are three aviation-history venues open at Grimes Field Airport. The newest (just opened this month) is the Champaign Aviation Museum. There are already impeccably-restored B-25 Mitchell and AT-6 Texan aircraft on display, along with pre-restoration DC-3 and A-26 aircraft waiting for their "extreme makeovers". There is also a nearby museum hangar dedicated to the "Grimes Flying Laboratory": a Beech C-54 Expeditor used for many years by Grimes Aerospace to test aircraft lighting systems in flight (That hangar is open only on Saturdays). Last (BCNL!) is the ongoing restoration project for "Champaign Lady" - a 1944 B-17G Flying Fortress. I have been volunteering since January 2008 on the project, which has the goal of making this bomber completely airworthy, and making it a part of the Champaign Aviation Museum's collection. The project hangar is at the southern end of the airport.

These three venues may not display the huge collections found in Dayton: they are, however, much more "up close and personal".

"Happy Cybercamping!"

Michael Canode, F13059S

Webmaster - FMCA Ohio Nomads Chapter

1 answer to this question

Michael,

This sounds great. Unfortunately, we are scheduled pretty tight around the convention. We'll be heading northeast with friends when we depart Bowling Green. We will be coming in from the south for the Monaco International Pre-rally and if there are a few days to spare, we'll try to take in at least one of these museums. I love airplanes, my wife loves me... so I can drag her along!

Thanks for the suggestion.