Sign in to follow this  
jkfilson

Water in Diesel Fuel

I recently experienced a loss of power in my 300 hp Cummins in a 2006 Winnebago Journey. The diagnosis was water in the fuel and the remedy was to replace the in-line fuel strainer and the fuel filter. My question is how do I get rid of the water that may be remaining in the tank, short of draining the tank; and how do I keep this from happening again. I top off the tank when the motorhome is in storage, but it never is in storage over 6-8 weeks at a time. Typically it's on the road for several months at a stretch.

Several points here.

Water is heavier than diesel. So, look for a drain plug on your fuel tank (up to your chassis maker as to whether one is fit).

As an alternative, if you can feed a hose in the in the fuel filler that reaches the bottom of the tank (I have used a hose with fishing weight zip tied to the end), use the coach levelers to tilt the coach front to back/side to side so that where your hose is in the tank is the LOW POINT. Let it sit for a couple of hours so the water all runs to that low point. Start a siphon and siphon until you get clear, golden diesel.

Another alternative if in an area with marine interests is to have a "fuel polisher" polish the fuel. They feed a suction line into the bottom to the fuel tank and, with a high volume pump, pump it through large external filters and back into your tank.

Yet another approach is to just carry several sets of spare filters and change them as they clog up, draining the water as required. If the level of water reaches the paper element, it is time to change the filter element.

If your water issue is accompanied by an algae growth (black, slimy "gunk" in the filter) use a BIOCIDE from any marine store.

Brett

Herman,

There are some additives that absorb water such as HEET, but am not aware of any that are approved by diesel manufactures. Alcohol and other water-absorbing chemicals are hard in the close tolerances in diesel injectors.

If anyone finds one that has Caterpillar or Cummins approval, I would appreciate that info being posted.