Sign in to follow this  
jcsbhunter

Ford New Transmission Fluid

When having a Remco Transmission pump installed they had to drain the tranny fluid. It appeared burnt. I subsequently had it checked at a dealer.

Ford changed the fluid being used.

Oasis Special Service Message Number 21138 entitled Auto Trans - Mercon LV Fluid Color (date unknown) was provided after they looked at it. It applies to Escape, Fusion, Mariner, Milan. Focus, Crown Vic, Expedition, E series, Explorer, F- Series incl Motorhomes, Grand Marquis, Mountaineer, Navigator and Town Car.

"Some 2008-2010 vehicles equipped with automatic transmission factory filled with Mercon LV Fluid (part#XT-10-QLV) may exhibit dark colored trans fluid that may look burnt in appearance. This is a normal characteristic of this fluid..."

I find it interesting that they would deliberately change to a fluid that appears burnt, in transmissions that have been known to fry when being towed.

jcsb,

Welcome to the Forum.

Maybe it is just me but I feel that Car manufactures deliberately do thing to discourage towing. That being said I have always gone by smell and not color of transmission fluid. If you have ever smelt burnt tans. fluid you will never forget it. While on the subject has anyone ever thought why they don't put an external filter on transmissions? It could be changes every time you change your oil and they could sell a lot more Filters and Fluid (but a lot less transmissions).

Just a thought from the cheap seats.

Interesting espically when Ford has had problems with their newer transmissions.

Remco has just issued a bulletin about a new Remco Lube pump to solve problems with Ford's new line.

I wanted to put a Remco pump on my 08 Chrysler Town-n-Country, and some of their dealers caution doing this period, concern was proper fluid levels since there is no dip stick.

Good Luck.

Remco told me if I was uncomfortable using their product, then don't as they are not responsible for damage.

Good Luck.

I love the maintenance free products. No dip stick, your transmission is maintenance free. Dealer service man's quote "You ruined your transmission because your fluid was LOW". Your maintenance free battery is bad because you didn't keep the water level up.

What does Chrysler say about having your No Dip Stick serviced? Is it every 30, 40 or 50K miles. When they drain the fluid how do they know how much fluid to replace? I have always said that before an automobile engineer can design cars or drive trains they have to spend at least two years in a auto repair shop. I think we would then have a lot of different setup and designs.

Just a thought, again, from the cheap seats.