Guest BillAdams

iRV2 forum

Guest BillAdams

The other day I responded to a topic on the iRV2 forum about someone who was trying to figure out a way to make a short 50 amp extension cord without spending a lot of money. This Summer I had a cable connection go bad and before I could get new ends I found a new cable at a reasonable price. I thought I would make the old cable into an extension and bought the appropriate end. It had been sitting in my van for many months so I offered this cable and cable end to the poster on iRV2 for $50 (the bargain of the Century). I was scolded and warned about selling on this forum (seriously?). I tried to explain that I was offering an extraordinarily deal to their readers and added a few choice words.

Well, as would be expected from this "for profit only" site, I got a note today that I have officially been banned from the site for the next 3 months. I have requested that my account be deleted as I have no intention of returning and I suggest that others make the same choice. iRV2 has been trying to get $1000/year from me to be a sponsor (then I call sell whatever I like) but I have always declined. I guess greed has gotten the best of them!

Guest BillAdams

It's true, that not all forums are created equal. I also choose not to visit or post at the RV.net group of forums due to the "lack" of moderation. They allow long time posters to flame new posters or those they disagree with even when they are wrong. It just has a very aggressive feel to it and I have enough issues to deal with in my life to want to add that kind of aggravation!

Guest Wayne77590

Bill,

It is our(their) loss. I enjoy your knowledge and posts, although we have at times disagreed with each other. You have been wrong, and I, of course, was only mistaken (Please take that as a funny). You are extremely knowledgeable in many areas and have helped many people. There are others that have been banned not only on that forum, but this one also, and I enjoyed reading raconteur. (I learned a new word, but I'm most likely not using in the right context.)

I belong to both forums. I have had my fingers whacked a couple times, but no banning yet.

Guest BillAdams

Me wrong? Never! Well, almost never. Well, not terribly often. Well, maybe occassionally!

Me wrong? Never! Well, almost never. Well, not terribly often. Well, maybe occassionally!

Bill,

Are you starting the script for a new sit-com? Sounds like a winner.

Brett

I am over there quite a bit and they allow me to post a link in my signature and in my posts to my blog here. I actually registered to blog there first l but there has been no reply to that which is no big deal. I am very happy to be an FMCA blogger.

I received my first "warning" from a moderator last night for sarcasm (not this forum). Not allowed he said. Well, I was criticising him. I am a short timer. Only 2 years owning my first motorhome. Prior to and after my purchase I used these forums to gain some knowledge. And did I. I learned more than I could have from books and experience. Reading BillAdams posts made me an expert at satellite setup. Thank you. Now I help others on forums and at cg's.

I actually appreciate some strong disagreement on the forums, especially when some post absolute BS and give advice that could be dangerous to others. People who post misinformation about electricity should be called out. People who misquote laws and claim you will lose everything in a lawsuit should be called out.

On irv2 you can pretty much say anything, true or false, as long as you don't use the "forbidden" words, and certain members feel obligated to reply to everything whether they know anything or not.

Anyway, this forum seems to be a happy medium. I like it and thanks to all for learning me good.

Charlie

It's true, that not all forums are created equal. I also choose not to visit or post at the RV.net group of forums due to the "lack" of moderation. They allow long time posters to flame new posters or those they disagree with even when they are wrong. It just has a very aggressive feel to it and I have enough issues to deal with in my life to want to add that kind of aggravation!

Bill

You really hit that on the Squarely on the Nail-head.....if your not part of a click watch out.

Bill,

It is our(their) loss. I enjoy your knowledge and posts, although we have at times disagreed with each other. You have been wrong, and I, of course, was only mistaken (Please take that as a funny). You are extremely knowledgeable in many areas and have helped many people. There are others that have been banned not only on that forum, but this one also, and I enjoyed reading raconteur. (I learned a new word, but I'm most likely not using in the right context.)

I belong to both forums. I have had my fingers whacked a couple times, but no banning yet.

Just for the Record,,,all the years I've been watching Forums,,,,

I have never known either of you to Be Wrong.....

You can send the Checks to the address I provided......on second thought, I don't want to appear to have a commercial interest,,,,NO CHARGE!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Guest BillAdams

Thanks Xplorer and Happy New Year!

Someone mentioned that their limited length ban had been extended to forever so I went to check on my status as well. Once I logged in the notice had changed from "how long with this last.....3 months" to "how long will this last....forever"

I guess you can't even talk about the forum elsewhere!

Thanks Xplorer and Happy New Year!

Someone mentioned that their limited length ban had been extended to forever so I went to check on my status as well. Once I logged in the notice had changed from "how long with this last.....3 months" to "how long will this last....forever"

I guess you can't even talk about the forum elsewhere!

There are 2 rules for any forum....

1. They can do what they want,,,,,

2. They can do what they want.....

Haven't been banned or received any warnings on any forum....

And,,,

each forum has it's own culture,,,,people, organizations,,,,etc...

They change with Time....

And,,,like people, organizations, etc.....

They forget where they came from.....

As for me,,,,this opinion like most is worth about the time it takes to click on Post........

I'm here from I RV Too after terminating my Senior Membership (647 posts and blog). 'Was looking to see if others had made the same discovery I had, this thread came up on Google.

Looking across the FMCA threads, it seems to be free of hijacks/trollings, a problem that some members and even staff at the other forum perpetuate.

Moderation is okay, and no moderation is alright. What I cannot stomach is selective moderation, which seemed to be taking a foothold there. Truly, there are some wonderful people inhabiting the forum; the staff simply needs to sort out some internal problems before it once again becomes a good place to talk RVs.

For now, mostly lurking. I hope to contribute later, if appropriate.

Guest Wayne77590

Herman, that wasn't "moderster" it was "monster."

Sorry Bill, just couldn't resist. :)

I just must have been mistaken again.

I just added up the forums of which I'm a member. Nine...three boat, one diesel truck and five RV. JMHO, of course, but IRV2 is head and shoulders above RV.NET, and I do visit it fairly regularly. I will admit to being blocked from a 5th wheel brand forum. They used to have a guy very set in his ways (he was ALWAYS right) and if you disagreed with him you got blocked...no warning, no suspension...permanently locked out. I still go there once in a while using a different screen name, and the guy who was the problem died. My biggest complaint is when a poster makes a post that is clearly just plain incorrect, and is called on it...and the guy doing the correcting is chastised.

I just recently stumbled on this forum. The biggest problem here is that there are very few posts and not much activity.

Of the nine forums, I routinely visit only three. I visit the others every 10 days to two weeks just to see if there is anything of interest.

I belong to both forums.

I don't like when people get personal and seemingly attack at will. Never have, never will.

I believe you can get your point across about almost any topic without making the person you are responding to feel like crap.

Some people don't know how to bite their tongue or just choose not to.

I belong to several forums but I really only visit two regularly - FMCA forums and the Alfa See Ya Motorhome forum on Yahoo. These have always been the most informative and tolerant of dumb questions I might ask.

dogpatch, So, so right. People always seem to respond better to, "I understand what you are saying, however I feel -------" then to "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND"!

Always a well phrased disagreement is better then fighting words. Lets not insult people, lets just agree to disagree.

Now lets all stand, hold hands and sing *** By Ya.

Happy and Safe RVing to all.

Herman