Question

14 answers to this question

If you are retired military or have access to military installations, you can stay on Marathon Key with the Coast Guard (reservations required), or on the Naval station at Key West. One point of interest, when we were there in 2006 there was a sign telling RVers if you don"t have a place to stay in Key West don't come. There is also some comercial RV parks on some of the Keys, I did see some 40 and 40+ motorhomes staying their.

tsolomonn: We LOVE the Keys ... BUT ... unless you're eligible for military FamCamps be prepared for REALLY expensive sites, usually requiring reservations a full year and sometimes two years out. For our budget, a short week or two stay is still worth it as we greatly enjoy the area. Try Bluewater Key RV Resort at mile marker 14 (just 14 miles from Key West). BEAUTIFUL!! Have fun. Steve & Lynette

Hi Guys, Have you had any experience with staying in the Florida keys? We have a 40ft Safari with 3 slides. Do you have recommendation? We will be there in late October, early November. Look forward to your comments.

My wife and I have been managing hosts for the Florida Keys Elks RV spot for quite some time. We spend the winters there and love the area. Be aware that Hurricane season is still in effect till the end of November. It also can be a bit hot and humid, (bugs too) till December. If you are an Elk there is space available at $30/ night at the Florida Keys Elks in Tavernier. You must be an Elk. That is for water and 30 amp no sewer. You can dump at a local RV park for $10. There are also many other RV parks that have space out of season for much less that during all along the Keys. Good luck.

My husband and I stayed at Blue Water Key RV Resort, www.bluewaterkey.com, this past April (2009) with our 42' Tourmaster and it was beautiful. Expensive, but if only staying for a week or two, well worth it. Plus, your an easy drive into Key West. I don't advise going into Key West with your rig. You will not fit down the narrow streets. As you can see from the pics, you can't get any closer to the water. It can be a bit windy sometimes though. We will definitely be back next year.

post-6299-1249403622_thumb.jpg

We stayed last January at the Bluewater RV Resort. It was incredible. Right on the water, private spaces (you could not see the motorhome next to you), private docks. It was expensive but well worth the price. We are headed back down in January 2010. On the way down we overnighted at the Home Depot right before you enter the Keys.

We stayed last January at the Bluewater RV Resort. It was incredible. Right on the water, private spaces (you could not see the motorhome next to you), private docks. It was expensive but well worth the price. We are headed back down in January 2010. On the way down we overnighted at the Home Depot right before you enter the Keys.

saraplee:

Hi. Thanks for the tip on Home Depot. Is this in Homestead, or Florida City? We're booked in to Bluewater for Oct. 23 and we're also looking for an overnight before heading out onto the Keys. Thanks. Steve & Lynette

In Homestead there's a few places to stay overnight. My recommendation is the Super Wal-Mart on South Dixie Highway. There's lots around it to do and restaurants to try. The important thing to remember is not to push yourself to make it down to Blue Water Key in the evening. At night it will be too dark to drive down there if you don't know the area. Plus, they frown upon late arrivals and there is a security gate that you will need a pass-code to enter. You'll enjoy arriving a lot more in the daylight anyway so you can see the beautiful water and scenery as you drive. Enjoy!

We just returned from the Keys and we stayed at Boyd's Key West RV Resort located at mile marker 5. Like others have said, RV sites are rather expensive, but not really bad if you're staying just a week. Parking on the way down through the Keys is very scarce, and so are gas stations that can handle big rigs, so fill up before you head down. Fuel prices are also more expensive.

The drive down is absolutely beautiful, so keep the camera handy.

The Sugarloaf Key KOA is a really nice place right on the water with sand, water and palm trees right out your door. We stayed there and had a great time. They have a store and a tiki-hut grill with a great bar for "liquid refreshment" should you desire! There is a great seafood place right across the street from the entrance too, you can walk to for a great meal if you need a break from cooking. They have boat rentals at their marina and a nice pool too. I would check their website for availability and fees. Enjoy!

Hi,

We just spent two wonderful weeks at the Blue Water Key Resort located 14.5 miles from Key West. with Bay water sites and canal sites it offers tiki huts, boat docks, with palm trees and greenry. Wonderful sun rises, a quiet atmosphere with the friendlest and best manger we have eve known Ann Kinch.

We have a 41 ft Newmar and stayed at a commercial RV park on the last Key before Key West. Don't recall the name of the Key or the park but it is (was) the only one that keyl Very expensive, over $120 per night. It was a nice park but we only stayed two nights.

A few years ago, we spent a month at the Sugarloaf KOA. We love Mangrove Mama's which is

on US 1 across from the park and have been there many times over the past 10 years

Do you like BLTs? If so, go up to Summerland Key and have lunch at Key West Fishcutters. BLTs

there are wonderful. What is a BLT? Bacon Lobster and Tomato!

There are many excellent restaurants in Key West, plus some interesting scenic tours and places.

Harry Truman loved Key West and you can visit the remote White House. You can take a boat

or plane out to Dry Tortugas National Park.

Yes, the area is quite expensive, but we enjoyed our month there.

Hello My name is Tim and Marra Stookey

A member of FMCA f405095

We are Thinking of making a first time trip to the keys in April 2010.

We at the moment have reservations at Knights Key Park In Marathon, Fla.

I would be very interested in any ones comments about this location good or bad.

Thank You

Tim