steveparksffinc

Suggestions For Base Camp Near Yellowstone

My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone and Teton national parks in August 2012. I am looking for a base camp that is convenient to both.

I would like to find someplace quiet and clean with spacious level sites. i don't mind paying a little extra for a quality resort.

Any other tips for enjoying the parks would be welcome.

Steve and Sherri

2008 American Tradition 42C

towing Subaru Forrester

Guest BillAdams

I am not sure that there is one that is convenient to both. I would suggest a site (or 2) for Yellowstone and another to visit the Tetons.

Fishing Bridge is inside the park but it's pretty tight and was under construction so you will have to check to see if they are open. The other parks inside the park are all dry camping (or were).

West Yellowstone has a very nice roomy full hook up RV park called Yellowstone Grizzly. http://grizzlyrv.com/ This is just outside the West entrance but the West entrance is still about 12 miles from the interior loop road so there's going to be a lot of driving.

Bill is right about all the driving. We stayed at the Fishing Bridge RV Park within Yellowstone this summer and it was great for location. They are upgrading the hook-ups a little at a time but we found everything suitable. I believe the max length allowed though is 40' and it looks like you have a 42' rig? This is the absolute best option because the location cuts down on so much of the driving time. The rv park is the only campground within the park that takes larger RVs. If this doesn't work for you, selecting an RV park in West Yellowstone is probably your best bet outside of Yellowstone.The website is: http://yellowstonena...lparklodges.com - be sure to to click on "camping & RV" and select Fishing Bridge RV Park from the pull-down menu.

But that being said, Grand Teton is NOT close to West Yellowstone so you would want to move closer to the Jackson, WY area. Colter Bay Village RV Park is within Grand Teton NP but I have not stayed at the hook-up park so can't comment one way or the other on it, but anything inside the park has to be the best option. Website: http://gtlc.com

I don't think there are a lot of RV park options in the Jackson area. I suggest you go to the Yellowstone National Park site and download a map of the park just so you can see how far it is just to reach an entrance/exit station in the park, and your driving distances between West Yellowstone and Jackson. It is a beautiful.area - you will love it!

You need to know that in this part of the country people drive 100 miles one way to have a beer with a friend. That being said, you could park at West Yellowstone and still drive over 100 miles to see parts of the park. If you were to drive to Grand Teton and back you could drive over 300 miles to make the round trip. Staying in two different parks is a good option. We have visited both parks for the past 3 years. Staying in West Yellowstone or in Gardner (Northwest entrance) are good options. We normally stay out side the park about 50 miles north and 20 miles south of Livingstone at a park called Yellowstone’s Edge, nice park with great owners.

We stayed at Jackson Wy for our visit to Grand Teton. There are a few parks there and most are big-rig friendly. There is also a park that is in-between Yellowstone and Grand Teton. We have never stayed there so can't give any recommendations.

Welcome to the forum.

We stayed 12 miles northwest of the Yellowstone western entrance on Montana state route 287 . There is beautiful campground right

on a lake. It was clean, quiet, has full hookups, nice and level with a concrete outside eating area + your own picnic table. I can't

remember the name of the campground,but its hard to miss. Just look at a map. It was $26.00 or $27.00 a night. They have a lunch

+ marina area. The folks were really nice there.and it was not hard to get to.

We tried to get a place at the Teatons + got turned away last August, we had no reservation. But no problem up there, you also where not right next to your neighbor. We found it more relaxing.

I hope this will help.

PS the fishing from the marina Jetty was great (5-6PM)

Hi Brett,

Sorry, can't recall the name of the campground, our MH is in storage and all the info is in our travel folder(8 miles away from here) but I can tell you exactly the way from the west exit of Yellowstone.

Leaving west exit go to center of town. Make a right and go north on Rt 191 approx. 41/2 miles. Turn left on Montana Rt 287 approx. 7 miles--

the only campground there. Its on the left between the road and the lake. They have no length restrictions for big rigs. Ask for a spot in the back. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Hello again,

Just went down to storage area,and got my travelog papers out.

Yes, it is Yellowstone Holiday Campground. As you can see, the back area is even nicer then the front, but the road outside the CG does not carry a lot of traffic--

5-10 vehicles per hour.

We stayed at Colter Bay Village RV Park this past summer and used it to see both parks. Yes, it was a long drive to the north and west ends of Yellowstone, but we found ourselves enjoying the Grand Tetons more than we had expected. We'd stay there again.

We have stayed many times at Grizzly RV Campground in West Yellowstone and highly recommend it for a rig of our size (ours is Monaco Camelot 42 KFQ). Probably one of the top two or three campgrounds we have ever stayed in. You will do a lot of driving no matter where you stay around that area but the scenery and good roads make the experience worth it. Someone mentioned staying in the park at Fishing Bridge, we would not consider that because it is very tight and I don't think they would allow coaches of our size in the park. Check out Grizzly RV Park and I think you will find it is what you are looking for.

I can send you a picture of our rig at Grizzly if you want - I haven't figured out how to post a picture with this system.

Lew

This information is very helpful.  I know it is a bit dated - I went to all of the sites/campgrounds and sent information to my wife.  I know that some of these places book early.  So we will be looking into the information now (January) for a July day.

Tried to get reservations for Fishing Bridge today and found out that there is nothing available for the entire season for rigs over 35'

Jim

Recently got reservations at Grizzly in West Yellowstone and the Colter Bay RV park for late July of 2017. 42 Foot DP.:D

Jim, Grizzly is a nice place to use as a base outside the park. Stayed there a few years back. Hope it is as neat and clean as it was then. One can walk into town with ease. Went on many fly fishing trips in the area. The Old Yellowstone Hotel served up some fine food when we where last there. The DW is a great cook, but it is nice to give them some time off. When shopping look at the stores on the back streets for food items.

Rich. 

Fishing Bridge inside the park only has a few total sites that will handle RV's over 35'.  We were lucky to get in there without a reservation.  Of course it was early May and the RV park had just opened that day.  We helped shovel the snow out of the back of the site so we would fit, but it was a great place to stay!

If you can't get in Grizzly you might look at Buffalo Run. Basic campground but everything worked. Buffalo Run RV Park & Cabins, 3402 US-20, Island Park, ID 83429, buffalorunrvpark.com, (208) 558-7112

It is a little further out 20 but not to bad. There are some interesting things to see in the area. You should drive the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway.The Tetons are doable from there but next time I may relocate closer.

Bill

Received word from Grizzly that that had opens dates in September,  I have submitted my reservation request, they have acknowledged my request and indicated response within 72 hours.

Jim