gdroke

Any Danger In Using The Refrigerator On LP When Driving?

I know it is questionable legally while driving, (states vary, tunnels, ferries, etc). I also see its recomended to not have propane on while driving according to propane safety .com

http://www.propanesafety.com/uploadedFiles/Safety/Propane_Emergencies/RV_safety%20brochure.pdf

I suspect the idea that so many models of rv, or appliances, and systems in different states of repair and maintinence means its just safer and simpler to say its not recomended (who knows what is on the road a couple miles up, accidents, forest fires, bumps, why play russian roulet with the expense of the rv or possible loss of you and family?

gdroke- I also have a Safari Simba (2006). Very happy with it, I run the refrig. on propane when traveling. no problems so far. You probably have a Norcold 1200 refrig. If you do, you may want to check some recent topics of another recall for this model. Norcold says not to use the refrig. until you have the recall done.

I know it is questionable legally while driving, (states vary, tunnels, ferries, etc). I also see its recomended to not have propane on while driving according to propane safety .com

http://www.propanesafety.com/uploadedFiles/Safety/Propane_Emergencies/RV_safety%20brochure.pdf

I suspect the idea that so many models of rv, or appliances, and systems in different states of repair and maintinence means its just safer and simpler to say its not recomended (who knows what is on the road a couple miles up, accidents, forest fires, bumps, why play russian roulet with the expense of the rv or possible loss of you and family?

Its true that in some situations propane must be turned off, however if your vehicle is propane fueled that would not be practical to turn off the propane.

ISo.

know it is questionable legally while driving, (states vary, tunnels, ferries, etc). I also see its recomended to not have propane on while driving according to propane safety .com

I think one thing to consider is that this RV safety article was written for all RVs. I personally think there is a big difference between leaving the propane on in a motor home versus a towable RV. If you have an LP leak in a towable, you may not know about it for miles and a catastrophic fire could occur, but in a motor home you are in the vehicle and can use your senses and monitors to find any leaks before larger problems can happen.

I leave mine on, and will continue to do so.