seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Air compressor onboard motorhome?

Ok all you ''SNART PEOPLE'' ....... Here we go again ......

All of you always check your tires before you hit the road and I am sure each and every one of you keep those tires up to the recommended p.s.i. for road travel safety and good fuel mileage. I also check the tires when I hit the road for a ''big turnaround'' our west somewhere. I have a air compressor in my basement and a really long hose on a reel. Here is my situation. You and I know that finding an ''air pump'' when you need to gauge up a tire is sometimes like finding the abominable snow man in Death Valley. We all know that Flying ''J''usually has air but sometimes Flyin ''J'' is a long way off and we got a tire that is 15 pounds light.

I would like some advise on purchasing a small 110-volt air compressor that will fit into one of my basement compartments. It would be simple to plug in when I am on shore power and when I am out ''boondocking'' I have a generator that would power it easily.

I have looked at compressors with built in tanks that go to 100 psi. I have looked at compressors without tanks that go to 120 psi. So far all I have gotten is confused about the best thing to buy.

Here is your challenge ...

Tell me which air compressor you haul with you in your coach to ''air up'' your coach tires when nothing else is available.

Tell me if you dont see the need to haul a compressor and you just use those ''cans of air'' with the foam inside.

Tell me if you have seen a really good onboard air compressor and you are just to cheap to buy one.

Tell me where to find a really good cheese burger for less than four dollars ....(oops skip this)

Here is my deal... I will pay ten cents for really good advise concerning this air compressor thing.

I will pay five cents for really good ideas that may be un-tested but sound logical ....

I will give a dill pickel and crackers for dumb looks and drooling .....

I will further promise on pain of death or a really bad head cold that if I start hauling a air compressor that I will offer ''FREE OF CHARGE TO ANYONE IN NEED OF HOT AIR'' (like my Marine friends Pogey and Wayne) good 120 psi air from my onboard air compressor.

Seajay the sailor man

Hi SEAJAY,

The compressor I carry does not meet your requirement of being small. It has a 17 gallon tank and delivers 150 PSI at the hose. The two things I recommend you consider are:

1. PSI at the hose. Many of the portable compressors give a rating for tank PSI. The PSI can drop 30 PSI by the time it gets to the hose.

2. Get a compressor with a tank. The volume of air our tires take is immense. That last 10 PSI can be a real slow fill without a tank.

I carry a small Sears 2.5 hp tankless compressor = 120 volt.

It will fill up to 150 psi as I recall. It's reasonably fast for topping off tires. Mine are set at 90 psi.

I have also used it to operate an air stapler and an air brad nailer.

It's six years old and still works fine.

I don't know where they come up with the 2.5 hp though. That motor is nowhere near the size or power draw of a true 2.5 hp motor. Must be marketing ballyhoo.

Guest 2driftrs

Seajay, we bought a Stanley Bostitch 1.6 gallon oil free through Sears. This unit is only 20 pounds, will pump to 125 psi, and is very quiet. It's small enough to fit in a basement compartment. We also looked at the Husky that Gramps mentioned, but it was too tall to fit through the basement door. I liked the Stanley because of great experience with their bigger compressors and gun nailers.

Guest Wayne77590

Seajay,

Considering all the hot air blowing from your directions, I would think that you would not have a problem in airing up a tire! :rolleyes:

However:

At the stick house I have a 5 or 6 gallon round flat tank with a 150psi capability. I used it on the 5th wheel for 80 psi tires with no problem. With the MH I need 110PSI and I had assumed that the 150 psil compressor would handle that also, but I was wrong (Oops! Sorry, I was mistaken, I'm never wrong. Ask my wife.) In order to inflate the 110PSI I would have to let the tank fill, then put the air in. Ther would be just enough pressure to put in a pound or two.

I purchased one of the "recommended" tire inflators that I purchased at a "Northern Equipment" store, but I was troubled with the running the battery wire under the MH to get to the far tires. It's sitting in my basement and I'll make you a great deal on it. I'll mark it up 200 percent and give you a 50 percent discount, plus 10 cents.

Hey! I said! I have an air coupler on the front of the MH. I purchased a 50 foot air hose and added quick disconnects. The MH air compressor has no problem pumping the tires to 110PSI

So if your tires are less than 100 psi, the tank holding pressur compressors and possibly the direct pressure without a holding tank will work for you. It would be best to beg, borrow, or sailor acquire one to test.

Rots of ruck!

Ok guys. Looks like I owe a lot of dimes again. All the good info will be considered and I will make a final

decision before me and Willa hit the road again.

I really appreciate your input on this and its to use your knowledge to solve a problem without doing like

Wayne and buying something that didn't work. (lol) I guess he could always use the ''useless one'' for a

paper weight or a tire chock.........

Anyhow, thanks again guys I will use your suggestions ....

And a special thanks to my Marine friend Wayne. Its good to see that he can read big words and come to

logical conclusions to resolve a simple problem ...... (Most Marines just want to shoot the problem to solve it)

Seajay the sailor man

ps.. Dont be afraid to ask me for your ''dime'' the next time you see me and if I deny that ''I am me'' you

might get your dime from Willa.......