wvr3567

It's Our Family: Help It Grow, Charlie Schrenkel, Oct. 2009

Especially because you, decision makers, read this forum, it is important that a suggestion be posted here asking for your help.

It is very interesting reading some of these FMCA posts. An Open letter to FMCA is from younger person reaching out, begging for change and offering suggestions. The responses to that person have been very polite and often in agreement. Another thread points to the issue of Declining Rally Attendance. That was also politely responded to by many. These postings and others are alarm signals and should be heeded.

The FMCA is currently experiencing tough times due to a serious membership decline and its resultant financial issues. Many people are getting rid of Cass A and C motor coaches, according to the dealers I have spoken to, in exchange for smaller, fuel-efficient, more agile and versatile units such as Class B RVs, 5th wheels, trailers and truck campers. Money is tight. It is either all they can afford, are willing to spend or they refuse to drive a gas guzzler. There is nothing wrong with these people or their rigs. FMCA needs them - badly.

I suggest to you that it would be in the best interest of FMCA to develop a Towable Chapter (maybe even limited to units with self-contained sanititaion sytems). There are thousands of them out there. Marketing to them would bring many to join FMCA, thus bolstering the ranks with young, active members and contributors. Where else is FMCA going to get more members?

Now, here is the strange thing. In a recent email exchange regarding this very topic with president, Charlie Schrenkel, he pointed out that the board overwhelmingly rejected the idea even though they had a 2009 study saying that the idea had merit for FMCA. Could someone explain their decision?

In October, 2009, Charlie wrote a President's Message, It's Our Family: Help It Grow. Here it is December 2011 and memberships continue to drop rapidly along with the finances.

Can someone help get the ball rolling on this idea before it is too late? Can or would someone post the membership numbers for each of the last five years so the membership can see it?

Please help everyone understand what action is being taken to assure a brighter future for FMCA?

This message is meant to promote a positive responses which might result in FMCA growth.

Respectfully, Bill reichert

It is now five days since the above has been posted and no feedback. Rest assured it has been read and mulled over by the president and many of the those in the hierarchy.

The hope is that Charlie Schrenkel would be prompted to show Family members, via statistics and facts, the current FMCA situation. Objective information would offer Family members the chance to air their ideas to promote evolution that could result in growth.

FMCA has much talent and experience in its ranks. Let it come to the surface by presenting facts and getting Family members' input. There is strength in numbers

Remember, the first word in FMCA is "family" - a very important point at this time.

Happy Holidays to all.

Respectfully, Bill

I beleive it was in Hinkley, Ohio around 1963 a group of familes got together and thought,wouldn't it be nice if we could do this more often so our kids can have fun with kids and families from lots of different places. The key word seemed to be FAMILY. Today many of those kids now have their own families and are now empty nesters that still love the get togethers with their friends at Rallies. But if you look around now it seems to be Older Family Motor Coach Association.

FMCA needs to put alot more infise in Family. International Meeting need to be during vacation time so families can come and bring their children. Each and everyone of us needs to recruit younger families into FMCA. How about starting new chapters for People with children. They can hold their rallies during spring breaks and summer vacations. In places where their children can have fun and enjoy.

I love all of the friends we have made in our Chapters. But the one thing that is missing are the children. Maybe Chapters need to look at holding their Rallies at those times and start bringing the Grand Kids. I know my Grand Kids keep us young.

What I am saying is to bring back the Family to Family Motor Coach Associstion. (Pardon my Spellin)

Herman, you are really on to this whole thing. Many facets of the Association need to be revamped from adjusting rallies and rally timing, as you note, to accepting family-priced RVs.

Rest assured, had the U.S. and world economic situation, unemployment rate and fuel prices been in the 60's what they are today, the Association would never have become the "motor coach-centered" thing it is today.

As you say, family is how this began and what it is all about.

You sound like the type of person who would be happy to camp near kids no matter if they were in a fifth wheeler, a trailer or whatever. I hope that is true.

Most all younger people have enough problems with the cost of educating their childern without worrying about taking out a loan to buy a motor coach.

But let's face it, the FMCA is in deep trouble financially. It is approaching the tipping point. For some reason, the top of the organization apparently does not want to talk about it or or present facts to the general membership.

Many want to remain a "premier" organization.

Well, T. rex was a "premier" dinosaur but I don't see any of them around anymore.

Bill Reichert

As a member of the National FMCA Executive Board I try to visit this forum on a daily basis as I feel it is important that we should know what our membership is thinking and this certainly is a way for them express their views.

In the past several months I have seen many posts expressing concern about the declining membership and financial situation of FMCA. FMCA is no different from most volunteer organizations during this difficult economic period. Membership is on a steady decline and with that comes difficult financial times. When our membership was over 100,000 members, we had a steady stream of advertising coming into our magazine. Money was not a problem. Once our membership dropped below 100,000 members, our advertising also declined as advertisers felt they were no longer reaching enough people to justify the expense.

I do not pretend to speak for the other members of the National Executive Board, as they have their own views and are entitled to either state them or not. I am speaking as an individual and with the blessing and agreement of the Executive Board of the Northeast Motorhome Association. We feel that we have an important stake in the future of FMCA as Hinckley, Maine, in the Northeast was the birthplace of FMCA. We want to be the place of the rebirth of FMCA also. It is no secret, we are having a difficult time. Our revenue is not meeting our expenses. We cannot continue to draw from our reserves and survive. We need to address two issues in order to survive. One is to greatly increase our membership, and the only way that we are going to do that is to attract younger members and the only way that this can be accomplished is to put the emphasis on families and make it attractive and affordable for younger persons with families to join. They are not interested in going into debt to purchase a motorhome . They are buying towables that can accommodate a family.

We must also have activities that will attract both young adults and kids. Perhaps a sister organization under the FMCA umbrella is the answer. We in the Northeast Area have a very active youth program at our rally and will be welcoming towables at our NEAR 2012, 20th Anniversary rally July 19th-22nd and have many exciting events to interest everyone.

In order to attract these members we must have a product for them to be interested in. We must have benefits that will meet their needs. If we are successful in doing this the advertisers and revenue will return. If not, FMCA faces an uncertain future.

Paul DuBois

President Northeast Motorhome Association

Paul, thank you for speaking up on this issue!!

In 2004, there were about 130,000 members. Today, there are less than 87,000. Membership is in a death spiral.

Would those on the governing board opposing the admission of towables, please come forward and explain your case. How do you plan to increase memberships and increase revenues. And remember, please address increasing revenues, not cost cutting. Also address what will happen to the special insurance of such importance to older members when the membership falls to a slightly lower level. What about covering the expense of the national convention? How will we cover the cost of all the directors? What will happen to the current staff as membership declines?

These are the things which you "motorcoach holdouts" must address. The success or demise of the Association could be in your hands.

Answers. please? We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by requesting info from these people. Maybe they have some positive ideas they are willing to share.

Hopefully this will result in some positive responses.

Respectfully, Bill Reichert

Paul, Let mer offer a suggestion. Advertising revnue. All the add.s in the Mag, are geared to Coches. Which is good. However there are a lot of Ad dollars that address issues most of us need. Harbor Freight spends a lot of ad dollars in many publications. RVers need tools. How about the AARP. WalMart, Sams, Cosco. Whats the Company that Is always in the AARP Mag for clothing. Then there is Gander Moutain, Bass Pro. Even the boating industry. There are so many thing out there that don't shout RV but if presented right can benifit the RVing public.

FMCA may be approching these advertizers now but as a salesman for over 40 years when times are hard you get out there and sell, sell, and sell some more.

Just my thoughts put down in writing.

Merry CHRISTmas to all and a Happy New Year.

Hmmmmm, As I stated in a earlier post, I must side with Executive Board, as it was not them was the National Directors from the chapters that surprised me by the attitudes I saw from them in regards to recruiting and forming a new association under FMCA for towables and younger families. It was as if the snob factor was in play at the meeting. As I attended the meeting as a Alt. Director, and my 1st meeting, I didn't know if I had a voice or not. I sat their beside a past president during the debate and voting, and asked her if the voting members knew that they just signed FMCA's death warrant by means of a long slow death. Her response was no, they just don't want change.

But yet during this meeting I heard members complaining about lack of money, lack of new members, etc. The answer they provided was to cut operating cost.

I must say, that over the past few years, I am seeing a change in attitudes by the Rally staff, but still can't say the same for a lot of the chapters....

Thus, to me the answer is OCCUPY FMCA AND THE CHAPTERS till they get the message

MARTY

To answer the questions, the following information is in regards to the question of towables, this information can be found on the FMCA Members Section under Governance.

Family Motor Coach Association

Actions

Executive Board Meeting April 30, May 3, 4 and 5, 2011

19. To approve that a committee be appointed to research the process, cost, issues, and benefits to establish a separate corporation, to be affiliated with FMCA, for selfcontained towables and report back to the Executive Board in a timely manner.

GOVERNING BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Governing Board Meeting Page 6

August 10, 2011 Madison, Wisconsin

question was raised on item #19 concerning establishing a separate corporation for self-contained towables. A statement was made that this is a motorhome organization. It was reported that towables were allowed at the Perry

convention as an experiment and to bring in additional revenue. A suggestion was made to consider towables if it would keep the organization alive by increasing attendance and dealer participation. The board was reminded that

this action was only to explore the issue of self-contained towables. It was clarified that the Marketing Strategy Committee suggested allowing towables at the Perry convention to generate revenue and expose more people to the

motorhome lifestyle.

A motion was made to call the question. The motion to end discussion was seconded and carried.

A rising vote was taken and the motion to accept item #19 failed with 164 votes “for” and 225 votes “against.”

marty

I know there has been a push to invite our motorhoming friends to join FMCA. Most of our motorhoming friends have been met at FMCA chapter rallies and one FMCA convention.

We are currently in an RV park where there are 2 other motorhomes. There are many 5th wheelers here and these are not inexpensive rigs when you consider the cost of the unit and the vehicle required to pull them.

Our son and daughter-in-law cannot justify the purchase and upkeep expense of a motorhome to use 3 or 4 weeks a year but they can justify a towable. Therefore, when we want to make a trip with them, it is not to FMCA sponsored events but it is to Escapees and Good Sam events.

We need to wake up and smell the coffee or roses or whatever.

Have shown what happen to a good idea. I spoke with wvr3567 last night and suggested that he poll the different chapters to find out what the reasons were in voting this down. I also suggested that he contact the Area Vice Presidents to assist.

So, in closing, I see that their has been over 400 views of this topic, so I would ask that Chapter Officers post their views on this topic and if they disagree with allowing Towables, why?

marty

I just talked to Charlie Schrenkel and Paul DuBois about this issue yesterday. The Executive board is looking into the issue. I do think a poll of the membership would be a better choice, it is our organization, if we want to allow towables, they should be allowed. It seems like there may be a faction of the executive board that may disagree with this idea. FMCA cannot continue to loose membership and revenue and still be a sustainable organization.

Dennis

FYI, It appeared to me at the meeting that the Ex. Board was in agreement on towables, but the problem came about when it was voted on by the membership aka Chapter National Directors, who were speaking for the chapter membership. So. yes I agree that the issue needs to be re-addressed and presented to the membership.

marty

I have always been told that if anything is worth having that it is worth working for. I have been out spoken in favor of towables and making it possible for younger people to join FMCA for the past two years as A National Area Vice President. Last July our Northeast Area rally invited towables and in July 2012 we will again not only invite towables but will have a program of new and exciting events that will interest younger people. We have an outstanding youth program that is well attended. We must get the FAMILY back into FMCA. We have to face facts, younger people are not buying and cannot buy motorhomes because of the cost. The signs are there-- FMCA must change, grow or die. Put July 19-22-2012 on your calendar and come to the Champlain Valley Expo Center in Essex Junction, Vermont . We have 1000 Electric and water site, a lot of great activities including ladies driver training for both Towables and motorhomes, a driver rodeo for both towables and motorhomes, a golf cart driving obstacle course, tethered balloon rides , a K9 event day with Dog Agility, a Veterinarian, a groomer, a trainer and vendors specializing in animal related supplies, an all you can eat pig roast, Motor Coach tours of the area and many more events. Towables will be parked in the same areas as motorhomes and welcomed by all. All of this at a very affordable price. and in a very beautiful air conditioned facility. Show everyone that towables in FMCA will work.

Paul DuBois

Northeast Area Vice President FMCA

diplomatman2002@yahoo.com

518-265-7345