Rvpainter

Brake System For Toad

I've pulled two different toads behind my 2007 Newmar Kountry Star w/air brakes. I've had the M & G braking unit on both and have found their units to be excellent. The first was a 3700 pound Subaru Forester and the current one is a 5300 pound Jeep Grand Cherokee. Dropped down a 13% grade in California last spring and had it not been for the M & G would have lost my brakes. The 4 wheel disks on the Jeep held when the drums on the coach started to fade. It was a sweaty palms ride!

I have a hybrid Ford Lincoln MKZ. Trying to determine best aux brake system too. Brake Buddy indicates some hybrids require a unique braking system-- their BOOST model.

Looking for advice on what is so unique about hybrids...recommendations for a brake system too!

A dolly is about the most silly system that you can use . It not only is expensive but it is very heavy. Also it is a pain as to where to put it on your campsite. A better and more secure way to go is a Toad that travels well 4 wheels on the ground. The are fast, simple and solid to hook up as well. L>H>N>

We have the SMI for the 2006 Honda Odyssey van. It is so simple to hookup. My diesel coach has the "Jake" brake also know as engine brake that is so much more powerful than the exhaust brake was on the previous diesel coach.

Gary

We went back and forth on our choice and it seems there are several good choices. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with most of them. That said we ended up going with the Roadmaster Invisibrake. Have not used it yet, rig is still at the shop getting some mods done for our May launch into Fulltime status and our retirement in September. We have a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD and a 2012 Wrangler Sport 2 door 6 speed. We got the Invisibrake system and a blue Ox towbar, the Aventa I think? We'll see if it works out for us. I think it will. If not this choice I would have gone with the SMI Air Force One. Pros and Cons seemed to kind of balance out so the choice was almost a coin flip.

M&G is a well designed and mfg product. However one does not fit all. Recently changed towed from Ford Sport Trc to 2011 Edge. Though they do offer a modest allowance if the unit is returned there is still a sizable purchace price. They did not have an installable unit when I checked. Went with BrakeMaster, air operated pedal mounted system. I have had the other brake pedal mounted systems and found them nothing but trouble. BrakeMaster was a little involved to install but not as involved as M&G. As a plus I should not have to get a new unit when I replace my towed. Had some doubts about another pedal mounted system but so far it has worked well.

As side note Edge Limited has no means to turn accessory power of when car is placed in N. Needs aux charge ckt from coach.

Whatever system you decide to install be advised that the MKX when left in N will have a current drain from the aux power of about 4 AMPS. There are modifications possible but may effect the warranty. Best remedy is run a fused 12V charge line from coach along with a ground.

I would not recommend the InvisiBrake by Roadmaster.

We had an InvisiBrake put on our toad (Chevy HHR) it didn't slow or stop the car, the brake rotors didn't even get warm! This is how we found out it didn't work. We bought it from a well known RV company in Chattanooga, TN. When we went to get our car, we were told they had not test driven the MH and car in tow. They said I could get a feel of the braking ability on the car and MH making a few stops and adjust the brake pressure as needed! To make a short story, my wife and I tested the car on a slight hill. I tied a long string to the break away pin, and asked my wife to only steer the car. I took the string, she released the brake and when the car picked up some speed, I pulled the break away pin and it rolled to the bottom of the hill.

Short story, the manager said "it works as designed and I was legal!"! Time went by, InvisiBrake was taken off toad, got a refund.

OldAsDirt

1999 Monaco Diplomat M38A

Chevy HHR

I would not recommend the InvisiBrake by Roadmaster.

We had an InvisiBrake put on our toad (Chevy HHR) it didn't slow or stop the car, the brake rotors didn't even get warm! This is how we found out it didn't work. We bought it from a well known RV company in Chattanooga, TN. When we went to get our car, we were told they had not test driven the MH and car in tow. They said I could get a feel of the braking ability on the car and MH making a few stops and adjust the brake pressure as needed! To make a short story, my wife and I tested the car on a slight hill. I tied a long string to the break away pin, and asked my wife to only steer the car. I took the string, she released the brake and when the car picked up some speed, I pulled the break away pin and it rolled to the bottom of the hill.

Short story, the manager said "it works as designed and I was legal!"! Time went by, InvisiBrake was taken off toad, got a refund.

OldAsDirt

1999 Monaco Diplomat M38A

Chevy HHR

When did you get your Invisibrake?

We had one of the prototypes installed two summers ago. We had the same experience. Roadmaster replaced it this last summer in Madison at the FMCA Convention-- It works perfectly. We now have 5,000+ miles towing with the new brake and it is working just as it should.

So, it is possible that you have one of the early prototype brakes. Even the look of the compressor unit is very different.

Brett

We are looking at the Invisibrake at Camping World.

As of this time we have towed this Chevy Pickup around 6,000 miles without brakes on it with no problem but are thinking of going to Alaska and definitely cannot get through Canada without it. I understand many states do require toad brakes.

What I did do was when I left Northern California last summer had help hooking up toad and help put emergency brake on. When we saw smoke and on the narrow Mountain road we had to hunt place to stop, now am having to repair toad brakes. They don't feel right for installing towing brake system, even as mechanic says after installing new brake shoes visibly everything looks o.k. he is getting a new master cylinder.

The Remco is easy to engage and have had no problems if I remember what gear to put in when unhooking.

Herman Mullins..... so good to read your posts, am learning much about this new adventure of Motor Homes. Spent many years with travel trailer, this is a new ball game.

CPO Richard Whitham

US Navy retired 1978

post-19617-0-65569800-1328460115_thumb.j