Afb7691

Need Help Deciding On A 4 Wheel Down Tow Vehicle

I recently purchased a 2008 37' Windsport Class A MH. I currently own a 2007 Mini Cooper automatic and a 2008 Ford Expedition (used to pull the old travel trailer).

I'm thinking of selling both vehicles for one mid sized SUV, automatic (dad never taught me how to drive a stick!), 4WD or AWD, 2011 or 2012. Was looking at Ford's Edge and Escape but have read too many threads about transmission issues and dead batteries. So I'm thinking Honda CRV or a Jeep.

What are the recommendations these days for an automatic SUV 2011-2012 vehicle?

Or should I keep the mini and tow it on a dolly?!! I just can't decide....help!

I am not well-versed on this topic, but I have been reading this thread for some time and I have seen all the problems people are having witht he Ford line. However, if you like Fords, have you considered the Escape Hybrid? From what I have read on the Ford website, the Hybrid has a completely different type of transmission. Anybody out there tried to tow the Escape hybrid? Had any transmission problems? Any other problems?

Welcome to the FMCA Forums. We tow a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade and would not hesitate to purchase another one. It is 4WD and and comfortably seats 4 adults (when you meet new friends and want to go somewhere together). There are many suitable vehicles out there. Check out the following links on the FMCA website. They might help you in the selection process.

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/91-dinghy-towing-selecting-a-vehicle

http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/204-towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down

Been towing the Jeep Liberty for the past 3 years,,,,,will never leave home without it.

Towing capacity of the 08 Lib is 5k pounds, comfortable, 4 wheel, fun to drive and plenty of room, 4200lbs.

Seems to me it was designed for RV'n...

Thank you for the replies. For the Jeep Libert owners, is it also your everyday car or just your tow vehicle? Wondering how the Liberty works for both purposes.

Thank you for the replies. For the Jeep Libert owners, is it also your everyday car or just your tow vehicle? Wondering how the Liberty works for both purposes.

Everyday use, just made a trip from Tejas to North Carolina,,,,it's been a comfortable ride. I'll use the Lib for a toad until the axles fall off. My next car will be a Jeep,,,,IF,,,,Fiat doesn't scrooge it up.....

Don't expect great mileage,,,16-21 mpg.

My wife and I tow a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD with no problems, My wife uses the car as her everyday work car. The new Ford Edges have a push button start, our 2008 has a normal key start.

It was the family vehicle for many trips prior to going fulltime. My wife used it to and from work. Many trips from Kerrville, Texas to Lubbock, Texas in total comfort. Trips from 2 hours to 6 hours.

Hi, I currently tow a 2008 Ford Edge AWD four down and have not had any problems in over 30,000 miles towing. I had a dummy key made and just turn it all the way until it stops (past acc.) and all electrics shut off. I also use a Roadmaster braking unit and have not had any problems with the battery going down as long as I remember to turn key all the way off. The Edge is a great toad and has lots of room in it.

We have towed 4 Jeeps over the years, a 1989 Cherokee Laredo, a 2005 Liberty Renegade, a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel, and currently a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. All have been very easy to set up and tow 4 down, the last two don't even need a key in the switch because the steering wheels don't lock. Just put the transfer case in neutral, hook up the tow bar, install your braking system, and go. No disconnecting batteries, cranking every XXX miles, or any of the stuff that is associated with towing so many other vehicles. We towed the Grand Cherokee over 35,000 miles and have already towed the Wrangler for about 2,500 miles. We have used all of them as daily drivers, in fact, the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler both serve or served as our only vehicle.

Seasons Greeting to all our fellow FMCA members & family.

We've been towing a Honda CRV for the last 3 yrs now behind our Monaco.

Initially had dead batteries after long hauls. I always carry a booster pack in any event ...can't tell you times I've boosted a dead battery for a stranded toad!

Honda manual recommends starting the engine and shifting through the gears while stationary to keep the automatic lubricated sufficiently once every few hours.

The battery issue is now no problem due to a neat little device called " Toad Charge ". Installs quickly and picks up power from the hot on the wiring connection on the coach.

The Honda is great with relatively good mileage but a little on the small side.

Just replaced the original tires through ( only 30,000 miles on them ) as towing 4 down is sometimes prematurely wears the front tires.

We rotate tires approx every 5,000 mi.

Hope this is useful to some considering the CRV.

Regards from Vancouver Island, BC

Made a decision! Trading in the mini Cooper for a 2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4. So next question, what tow bar and braking system do you recommend?

We use the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and Brake Buddy for brakes. I know a lot of people like the Blue Ox tow bar but I do not have any experience with them so I really cannot comment.

Brake systems depend on whether you want a system you can install and leave it in place all the time or install and remove each time you use. I can install the Brake Buddy and have it ready to travel in less than 5 minutes. I know people use various systems. Check this link for a discussion of braking systems: