Sign in to follow this  
ptnjust007

Have You Started Your 2012's Resolutions Yet?

It's that time of year...I have quite a few:

Eat healthy

Exercise more

Be kinder

Be more patient

Finally quit smoking

Spend less

Save more

I feel like it's pretty typical fare.

What goals do you hope to achieve in 2012?

I like to keep it simple and measurable.

1) Complete the Texas Master Naturalist program this winter

2) Find a volunteer position at a local state park or nature area in the spring

3) Fly an airplane at least once a month

Take me flying Mr. Butler. I am not current, but had a Mooney 201 for a long time. Complex hi-preformance Single Engine, Land, Instrument. Havent been able to fly in a long time now, miss it horribly. Probably can't get my medical back now but would gladly split the fuel costs with you if you ever want to bore holes in the sky somewhere. :)

We flew up to Houston several years ago, landed at Sugerland airport and went to a Ron White performance. Flew back the next day. I love to fly when I can. Anything single engine land/high performance/complex or gliders. Our first year out (2001) we headed for Houston. I took a course in recovery from unusual attitudes at DW Hooks airport flying with the Texas Air Aces. One of my great adventures. I don't think they are in business anymore. They had two fatal accidents within two or three years after I flew with them. The owner, and one of the instructors I flew with were killed in two separate accidents. I believe one of the T-34's was one I flew in.

If you are headed down to the valley, let us know and we'll get some air time. I've never owned a plane, strictly a renter. Never flown a Mooney but have flown Pipers, Cessna, Grumman and Beechcraft. I love to fly!

Tom, Check with Ray Roberts State Park, Pilot Point, TX. Some friend of our were host there for about six months while their home was being built. (right next door to the park). I understand they are short of help at this point.

Thanks for the tip Herman. The Texas Master Naturalist Program is a county-by-county program. Our region is actually two counties, Hidalgo and Cameron Counties. I'll be working with the local chapter. The training program focuses on the local flora and fauna. We have a multitude of parks and natural areas here in the Rio Grande Valley. I'll have plenty of opportunities to volunteer locally. In fact, I'm hoping to volunteer at the Edinburg City Park and World Birding Center site. I could ride my bicycle to "work" from where we live. Point Pilot is 450 miles away. I'm not looking for a place to stay for the summer though that could be done I'm sure. We've too many relatives (children, grandchildren, siblings and mothers) who live in the cold north so we have to visit them when things thaw! We live in Texas but were still winter Texans as long as the motor home is still running!

Guest Wayne77590

My resolution is so simple.

Try to do the resolutions I made last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year....... Well, you get the idea.