MystreBengals

RV Extended Warranties -- Recommendations?

Good Sam Extended Warranty doesn't cover anything.

My experience with Good Sam Extended Warranty (which is actually written by QBE Insurance of America, a company in Australia) has been totally unsatisfactory.

If you have an older motor home (mine is a 2006 model), you will likely find out that a lot of items that you would think are covered are not.

My most recent experience is with the leveling jacks on my 2006 National Tropi-Cal. The jacks are made by Power Gear, a well-known name in the industry.

The motor on my leveling jacks went bad and has to be replaced. After a long series of phone calls and e-mails and ordered parts, I have learned that the original equipment motor for the leveling jacks is no longer made. And the replacement motor for the jacks does not fit the manifold assembly of the original motor.

That would seem to be a simple issue of ordering a new manifold to fit the new motor. And obviously, that would seem to be covered under my Good Sam Extended Warranty because there is no way that the new motor would fit the old manifold. And therefore, the jacks will not work.

However, I soon learn a new wrinkle in the legalize of the Good Sam Extended Warranty. According to their agent, they will only pay for the replacement motor for the jacks because that is the only thing that has gone bad.

It makes no difference that the motor does not fit the manifold and replacing the motor in and of itself will not make the jacks work. The manifold must be replaced in order for the new motor to be able to operate the jacks.

If this makes sense to anyone, I'd like to know.

I have an extended warranty which covers the jacks, but because the company that makes the jacks no longer makes the same pump/manifold as was originally installed, my warranty will not cover getting the jacks back to working order because only the motor went bad, not the manifold. And the manifold does not fit the new pump. And they won't pay for the manifold that goes with the new pump.

Doesn't make sense.

This isn't my first negative experience dealing with the Good Sam Extended Warranty.

My first experience involved a slide out that stopped working. The slide stopped working because of water intrusion and resulting deterioration of the floor beneath the slide. Come to find out that the Good Sam Extended Warranty doesn't cover this because, as I was told by the Insurance Agent, I didn't sign up for option of Seals and Gaskets.

So, the next time I renew my policy, I add the option to cover seals and gaskets.

Then this year I have a problem with a different slide. This time, when the repair facility goes to get authorization for coverage of the repairs, I find out that the Seals and Gasket coverage that I was told by the Good Sam insurance agent I needed to cover the cost of the earlier slide out repair does not cover anything on the slides.

The bottom line, if you are considering Good Sam Extended Warranty on your motor home, have your lawyer look at the policy and be sure you understand that basically, you are buying an extremely limited policy and that there are more exclusions than coverage.

And don't expect the Good Sam Extended Warranty to cover anything that may go wrong with you RV.

Dave Inscoe

“Not a Happy Camper”

Beware of Good Sam. They do not cover shipping of parts. They paid for the parts OK after insisting I pay the shop first. Nowhere can I find an exclusion for freight of covered parts but it really ran up the deductible. I have replaced them with Pro-Trek through broker Wholesale Warranties in California. Half the price of GS but most non-dealer plans were much cheaper. Untested yet but checked out OK.

Most extended warranty companies will not pay for shipping, shop charges and taxes so don't be surprised when you get the bill. Still it is much less than the repair for example when I had 16,000 lbs jack replaced. The bill would of been $1,700 not the $341 I paid. Even if I did the repair myself, the jack would of cost more and still had to pay for shipping.

I have been dealing with EasyCare for a transmission failure for the past 4 months. They just keep give me the run around and new reasons to deny my claim. Three different reasons, the lastest is the Pre-exsisting condition loophole. Do not buy this product..

EasyCare is a ripoff. Had them when we had our tt and they wouldn't pay for anything! Gave us a really hard time getting a prorated refund when we sold our trailer too. I'm on the fence about whether to buy an extended warranty on our 2016 Bay Star too. The Newmar 1 year warranty is up in 2 weeks and it makes me nervous. But, the warranties are SO expensive and if they mostly operate the same (as in don't pay for anything), what's the point of wasting the $$?

Well it was an ordeal for me to even get a quote on an Extra Ride policy. Only one dealer in Oregon and the cost was outrageous! 36 month policy with a $200 deductible was $5499! Both my local Newmar dealer and Wholesale Warranties quoted me exclusionary policies for longer terms at half that price. Anyone have experience with Viking (who is now the company Wholesale uses) or Star RV (Interstate National Dealer Services of Florida)? Both quotes on those were around $3200. We've got 5 days before our factory warranty expires, so I need to act fast!

beach.  Put the $$$ in a savings account...you'll be way ahead in the long run!  My account is not too shabby after 49 years and 17 Rigs!

Carl 

4 hours ago, beachtraveler9 said:

Well it was an ordeal for me to even get a quote on an Extra Ride policy. Only one dealer in Oregon and the cost was outrageous! 36 month policy with a $200 deductible was $5499! Both my local Newmar dealer and Wholesale Warranties quoted me exclusionary policies for longer terms at half that price. Anyone have experience with Viking (who is now the company Wholesale uses) or Star RV (Interstate National Dealer Services of Florida)? Both quotes on those were around $3200. We've got 5 days before our factory warranty expires, so I need to act fast!

I am with Carl, put the money in a savings acount. They find two many ways to not pay. What year is your coach? If you are just now running out of factorey warenty you should have all the ishues resolved or documented so they can fix them latter. You should be in good condition.

Bill

Hello gang, I personally self insure myself. Meaning if it breaks I pay to fix it. Basically what I am saying is insurance is based on if 10 people pay for it (1) will need it.  They are experts at mathametics and not in the business to loose money. 

On 12/28/2011 at 1:16 AM, MystreBengals said:

Would love to hear from some of you about which Ext Warranties are good, or at least not bad. Are they worth the expense for someone like me who is not a big DIY'er? (I don't mean to insinuate that I can do much, I am just not really good with my hands and I have some disabilities)

We have a 2009 Monaco Knight 41SKQ 20k miles, 4 slides, Cummins 360 ISC

I have done the search, read the previous threads on the similar topics.

I am still unsure of which companies are at least reputable, should I go with the exclusionary product or are their other choices.

I have never seen an answer to the question about wholesale warranties and what they offer.

Anyone have experience with: American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida. Notice there are 20 complaints with BBB, all but two appear "resolved" ... this is the company WholesaleWarranties.net sent the quote for..

5 years/50k for 3700.00 Appears to be an exclusionairy policy can add consequential damage for 395, Enhanced towing for 75, Tire/Wheel 7yrs for 449

The American Bankers Life company has a C+ rating, Wholesale Warranties has an A rating. (BBB)

FYI – DO  NOT  BUY an extended warranty from

RV Care /Phoenix American Warranty Company, Inc

6303 Blue Lagoon Drive.Suite 225,Miami, Florida 33126-6004

My RV Tech with 28 years experience almost quit repairs on my RV because of RV Care problems. First time in 3 years I had to use them and I never will again!!

We had CW Car, for  7 years about 8,000.00 It did good or us but is no longer available.

What we have now with Goo Sams is the Silver Plan. After reading it over a whole lot of items are not covered. So we too have been list3ening here and other forums, hoping to find a best coverage for less money. come next month it will renew and 3600.00 a year is too much.

So who is the best for less money?

4 hours ago, jtbrother said:

And what is the engine or transmission goes out?  How much are you going to save if you have a $20K bill to pay?  

Welcome to the forum. Tell me how much you will save if you spend over $3600 or more for a policy and you are denied. Do you have every recite for maintence and does it match the factory recommended schedule perfectly? Just saying there are many story's on hear and on different forums about claims being denied for trivial reasons. You might want to do some more research.

Bill