gmoreno

Nova Scotia

Question

Hello all and am hoping to get tons of replies with my post. Need lots of advice and ideas.

We're thinking of traveling to Nova Scotia this summer (summer 2012) and plan to leave late June. We can be on the road for as long as three weeks, maybe four. We will travel with our dogs (3) and two kids; a 3 year old boy and 7 year old girl. We have a 35' 2010 Damon Daybreak gas, V-10, and we will be towing a mini-cooper. My Tow dolly has surge brakes and I can easily attach lights to the mini-cooper if laws in Canada dictate as such. We reside on Boston's North Shore area, so based on some quick mapblasts searches, the distance to NS is about 700 miles one way. We already have current passports. We've heard that when traveling with pets, and on the way back from Canada to the States, dog food must be in the original packing. OK. Now that you guys have read what I've got, here's where I need some help:

Kids will need to be entertained alot; especially the 3 year old. They won't probably be able to really appreciate this trip simply because they are a bit young. Therefore, we will need some campsites and destination ideas to keep them busy and entertained during this long journey. For example, a campsite with kidde pools would be great. Kid friendly towns to visit along the way, etc. Also, some advice and help on how much to tour NS. In other words, what different "leg" journeys will be best; either in the RV or in the mini-cooper. There was a recent article in the FMCA Magazine about some ideas when touring NS. This was a great help, but I still need some more information. Also, as I read the article, it sounded like some of the RV parks in NS were limited in amenities...especially 50amp service.

I think Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor) is on the way to NS from our area. So, we plan to probably dry camp at the National park, but again, would prefer to have a nice RV park instead so the kids can stretch their limbs and expend some energy.

Finally, any other advice on traveling or precautions from veteran RV'ers on my way to NS is most welcome.

OK...Run with the BULLS! Start posting!

Rob

2 answers to this question

Hi,

There are some good places to stop enroute and several good campgrounds. In Camden Maine there is the Camden Hills Campground and also Megunticook campground. One of the things that the kids may enjoy is to take a ride on one of the tall ships in Camden Harbor. They allow dogs and we took our three on the ships several years ago and it wasn't a problem. You might enjoy a stop at the Maine State prison Gift Shop in Thomaston just south of Camden on Route 1 they have some execllent wood working products made by the prisioners and is well worth seeing.

If you want information on Nova Scotia contact Pricillia Crowther who is the contact for the Scotian Roamers chapter , her e-mail is: priscillacrowther@hotmail.com I am sure that she would help you.

Make sure you have all the dog's health records and their shots are up to date If you need any further information that isn't covered by anyone on this forum, don't hesitate to e-mail me at diplomatman2002@yahoo.com and I will have one of our members that live in that area contact you and help you

Paul DuBois

Northeast Area Vice President

Thanks Paul for your kind reply. I'll wait a few days to see who also may reply to my post before I attempt to make contact with Pricillia Crowther. I'll look into the campgrounds you suggested in ME.

Robert "Bob" Moreno