Sign in to follow this  
pscarey1

Towing Kia Vehicles Four Wheels Down

According to the Towables for 2012 article in this month's FMC magazine, KIA representatives state that they no longer approve their vehicles to be towed four wheels down. I just purchased, in October, a KIA Soul with the intent of 4-down towing.

Prior to the purchase I called KIA and they directed me to service bulletin GEN018 which states that all KIA vehicles that are 2 wheel drive with manual transmissions can be towed 4 down with no restrictions. They do give a procedure which entails putting the transmission in neutral, key in ACC position etc.

I called KIA again today after reading the article and the rep confirmed that service bulletin GEN018 is still in effect. So that I have it in writing, if anything should happen to the car, they are sending me a letter and a copy of the service bulletin.

They phone rep was interested in who at KIA provided this information. Do you know?

Edited by tmoning
Note: The Towables for 2012 article requires member or subscriber login to access.

The phone rep was interested in who at KIA provided this information. Do you know?

No, but I will forward this to my contact on the FMCA Staff.

Brett

The information we received from the Kia public relations group is that no Kia vehicles are approved for towing. My contact's initial response to my request for information was that the company does not recommend towing any Kia vehicles. I asked my contact to double-check that information, since we included 10 Kias on the 2011 list. The response a second time was that the company does not recommend towing any of its vehicles, even those with a manual transmission.

I will send my contact the information about service bulletin GENO18 to determine where the company stands on this. I've looked at the owners manual for the Soul and I couldn't find any information about flat towing a vehicle behind a motorhome, only information about emergency towing.

So.. Did Kia ever respond to this? Search as I may I've never found any info on "GENO18"? I just purchased a 2012 Kia Soul+ with manual 6sp with the intention of flat towing. Seems all the major players support towing up to 2011 then stops? Nothing in my car manual shows anything about flat towing except under "emergency towing".

I have come to the conclusion that before a toad is selected that it has to have been out for a couple of years being towed without problems. After reading all of the horror stories posted, even if the manual says its ok, sometimes the mfg changes its mind and says its not. Let someone else be the guinea pig. The more changes you have to make to the car or truck the more potential problems your going to have. I would go for a tow bar and brake system only and if it needs more than that to make it towable I would look to a different toad. The problem with other devices is that if there is a failure you are caught between two different mfg as to who is responsible, well documented in this forum.

Just bought a Kia Soul to tow. Has a manual 6 speed. Having the plate put on today and will leave this week end. See how the rubber meets the road (so to speak).

We have been pulling our 2012 Kia Soul base model with manual transaxle since we bought it new for that purpose. Have had zero issues with the toad, or the Dutch tow vehicle for that matter, using a complete Roadmaster baseplate, bar and air brake system. Steering wheel must be unlocked to ACC position, shifter in neutral and hand brake off.

Before towing each year I make sure the transaxle is at the proper level of gear oil as well. As a preference, I put a small solar charger on the dash of the Kia, plugged into the power port, just to cover the small power consumption of the brake light monitor in the Dutch, as well as anything else that might be powered with the toad key in the ACC position. The radio in the toad (Kia) should be shut off manually during towing, again in the interest of preserving the toad battery for those especially long haul trips.

Regarding the Kia Soul, I have to say the vehicle has been absolutely trouble free since we drove it home from the dealer in November 2011. Not one, single problem! At a total cost of just over 14k, I don't know what else would have towed so well for so little money. Would I rather have a Wrangler pushing us down the highway, of course, but the Kia gets the job done and leaves lots of money for fuel and Rv resorts.

Check the March mag on page 16 Towing Guide Addition, they posted the Kia vehicles that are OK to tow and the Soul manual trans is shown as towable.

I see the KIA with manual transmission listed in the 2015 towing guide, but notably absent ( as well as many other previously mentioned ) standard transmission vehicles in the 2016 guide. Any one know the reason for this?

35 minutes ago, jimay5779 said:

I see the KIA with manual transmission listed in the 2015 towing guide, but notably absent ( as well as many other previously mentioned ) standard transmission vehicles in the 2016 guide. Any one know the reason for this?

Not sure what you're referring to. Family Motor Coaching magazine's 2016 Towables Guide lists a number of Kia vehicles that are towable four wheels down.