Sign in to follow this  
haljudi

2003 F-150 Flat Tow Steering

This will be my first time towing a vehicle, Do I need to do anything special with the locking steering wheel on my 2003 F-150. I will be using a Falcon 2 tow bar behind a 2011 Bounder.

haljudi,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are several factors involved here. Is your truck 4 wheel drive? If so does it have a nutral in the transfer case? With that weight of tow you will need a braking system.

As far as the steering wheel lock you can do two things. First you may leave the key on in the first position, I beleive that on the Ford the first position does not turn on your accessories, but I may be wrong. Second you can have a mechanic remove the locking pin and you would then be able to remove your key. You will need to connect the lights. There are several ways to do this. You can purchase a light bar that attaches to your vehicle with both magnics or suction cups and straps. Or you can have your vehicle wired with special diaodes so that when you have your coach lights on it will not feed back into the toads electrical system and do harm to the toad.

You will hear from a lot of people here and they will all have great suggestion.

Good Luck

hermanmullins,

Thanks for the reply.

The truck is a 4 wd with a manual transfer case (last one Ford made). I'm all set on my lights and brake system but never gave the steering a thought.

Thanks again.

Hal