reid9439

EMS Problems

Two months ago my Intellitec Mdl#800 went bonkers.

While plugged into a 50 amp service I noticed that the lights were not working on the panel. After a few minutes I noticed that they were on again. This continued for some time. Since we were not running the air conditioners, heater or washer/dryer, it didn't matter at the time. A month later at a different location (still 50 amp) I found out that the water heater was not working. Not paying attention that the EMS was not working, I figured that the heater element had burned out. I later found that this was not the case. Instead it was the EMS not working. Since it is still working intermittently, there's no sense in taking it for service. You know it will work for them. It also acts the same way on 30 amp

I called Intellitec's support man and all I got was bla, bla, bla.............

Has anyone had a similar problem? Also, since the features of the EMS are not that necessary, does anyone know how to disable it.

Really sounds like maybe a bad connection somewhere. The cable plugs into the back of the panel and onto the board usually located in the main distribution panel. I would unplug and plug those back in a couple of times as a start.

The EMS 800 requires a 12 volt DC hot lead and a good ground to power the control board. If the ground is intermittent or your hot feed is iffy the EMS will shut down and the AC relays will stay in the open position, rendering those circuits dead. The only way to close those relays so that AC power can flow through is by applying 12 volts to the board.

Load shedding problems generally are a board issue but in your case I would first check the DC supply and ground for any loose connections. Also, there is a small fuse on the board that may be in intermittent mode. It could even be in a dirty socket so pulling it out and reseating it may do the trick.