drcsue

Chassis Batteries on 2005 Beaver Monterey

Folks,

The new chassis batteries are being drawn down over a period of a couple of days. As most, I have an electrical distribution panel in the front of the coach. There is a continuous duty solenoid that is activated with the ignition on. But there are a lot of things that are on before the solenoid. I am showing a 2.5 amp drain at this point. Does this seem excessive? How long would a 2.5 amp drain take before batteries are discharged?

Thanks for the help,

Dennis

Dennis,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

2.5 amps is a high draw-- I would pull fuses one at a time until you isolate that draw to determine what it is. That is 60 amp-hrs per day and will take any size battery bank down fairly quickly.

But, all modern coaches DO have some draw on the chassis battery.

Best solution is to charge the chassis battery. Some are wired from the factory to do this from shore power. Others need a separate charger or relay to charge the chassis battery from whatever device is charging the house bank.

So, in storage, either 120 VAC or solar. If neither, you should consider a battery disconnect for the chassis battery, as even at "normal" draw for the engine computer, transmission computer, etc, the battery can be discharged.

Brett

Brett,

Thanks. I don't think a total disconnect will work. CAT and Allison do not want their computers without power for any length of time. I am going to do what you say. Connect amp meter and start disconnecting wires.

Dennis

Dennis,

No question, disconnecting the chassis batteries is the "least good" solution, that is why I mentioned it only if you don't have an alternate way to keep the chassis battery up.

But disconnecting is better than allowing to the chassis batteries to toally discharge-- that will kill them in a hurry.

Brett

Brett,

I am ok as long as I have shore or genset power; or, of course, driving. The way this thing keeps the chassis batteries up is via a BIRD module and a Big Boy switch. But if the chassis batteries get too low, then the BIRD will not let the house batteries charge. I am just going to see what is causing the 2.5 draw. It may be normal.

Dennis

Well it has happened. Some one has the same problem I do. 2005 Winnebago 350 diesel Journey 36 loaded.

I have it all, but cannnot get a straight answer. Will, after the coach batteries are charged 100 % the chassis batteries be charge from the charger in the motor home to the chassis???

Curely9946,

I really could not understand your post. I am sorry, I don't know how Winnebago sets up the system. In most cases the charger/inverter will charge the house batteries while on AC power. The engine alternator will charge both battery banks while driving. There will be some sort of an isolation system, and if working, will keep each bank isolated from each other except in the case of an Echo Charging device. The Echo Charger will allow the house batteries to charge the chassis if all parameters are met. My Beaver has a BIRD module and Big Boy switch that performs this function.

Dennis

As Dennis said, there is no "this is how they are all wired" answer.

But, with 5 minutes and a digital voltmeter you will know whether both your battery banks are charged from shore power.

With the coach plugged in, check voltage at coach batteries. Then check at the chassis batteries. If the same and over 13.2 VDC, both are being charged.

If the chassis battery is more than a few tenths of a volt lower than the house battery, the chassis battery is not being charged.

Check with Winnebago to determine how they wired your coach (call them with your VIN).

Brett

Hi Dennis,

I have a 99 beaver. When my chassis batteries were running down I found that my RV had a switch by the radio near the front door.

That said, stereo power... when I left it on my battery would run down in a few days. When I turned it off my radio would turn off along with the cd changer... only problem was that the clock would reset on the radio. But I use this to my advantage as I turn the switch on when I start my RV every week and use the time as a timer to see how long it has been running.

When dry camping for 3 weeks I kept the stereo power switch off and it fired right up.

On a related note I found out today that my solar charger was only charging my house batteries... but not my engine battery.

Hope this helps...

Jeff

Dennis/Curley:

98 Beaver: acquired March 2011

no stereo power switch

twin 2x4 solar panels wired ONLY to house batteries

one 14" solar panel wired to Chassis battteries (in higher latitudes, ie Washington and BC, not enough here to keep batteries up against the draw from the ECM, radio clock.

dead echo charger

Result; dead batteries after only a few days

fix:

replaced chassis batteries: dead again in two weeks

added:

knife switch on neg post of chassis batteries, so no more draw when off shore power

small smart charger dedicated to Chassis batteries, cheaper than fixing the echo charger, always on when on shore power.

Day of reconning: Jan30, when we return to the coach, in storage in Lodi, CA, since Nov 20.