Sign in to follow this  
GARYGIBSON

Hydraulic Lifts on Your Motorhome

Does any one have a motorcycle or golf cart lift installed on their motorhome? I'm interested in finding out your experiences, approximate cost, and other things I should be aware or wary of. Looking at Hydralift. What other brands are out there that work well? :unsure:

Gary,

In addition to hitch capacity, if your coach has a frame extension (main frame rails to not come all the way to the back of the coach), you will need to verify with your coach maker the weight capacity of the hitch.

And on any coach, remember that even a thousand pounds 10 or so feet behind the rear axle puts well more than that amount of weight on the rear axle and removes quite a bit from the front axle. Verify that you have that much reserve capacity on the rear axle and that removing weight from the front axle will not adversely affect handling.

In most cases, unless this is a DP with tag axle, your effective capacity is very limited.

Brett

Gary,

Have you considered a trailer? There trailers out there that can carry two motor cycles and a car. That way you can carry our bikes and most any car you like and not have to worry about tow bars, lights on the car and brakes.

Great thought provokers! Allegro Breeze 32Br. I was concerned about the change in the dynamics of the MH. Yes I do have a trailer but looked at the fact that I could take my golf cart and tow my car. HERMANMULLINS, you wrote "There trailers out there that can carry two motor cycles and a car." Any references? I have a 12 ft trailer to haul the golf cart by itself but don't want to drive a triple train. Maybe I'm just trying to cover too many bases.

Food for thought......

We got a trailer, put truck and ATV on it.

Problem 1... Had to build risers for vehicle as we could not get out the door after loading on trailer because of 12inch. Side rails.

Problem 2. To much weight.

Problem 3. Storing trailer after reaching destination

Timely subject. I have a 30 ft gas class A and will be putting a motorcycle lift/carrier on it in about a month. But I have been doing a lot of research. I would recommend that you look at several and find what you want. I looked at Overbuilt, Hydralift, cruiserlift, and Versa lift. Several have special adapters for carrying golf carts and ATV's. Cruiser Lift has a nice form to fill out to see if your motor home is able to handle the load. There seems to be quite a few who do carry their carts so should be doable.

As for me, I will carry a scooter or motorcycle weighing between 350 lbs and 650 lbs.

Ride Safe

Gary

I'm going to watch this topic. I am considering using a lift and towing a car 4 down. I've checked the weights and it should work. Car weigh's 3700 and the bike weigh's 665. The car is towing capacity, but the bike is considered into MGVW or it's total carrying capacity if I put a lift on, but then I have to take into consideration the weight of the lift (Added to my wife's shopping capacity---Hmmmm). I'm looking for suggestion for the proper lift also.

Gary,

I installed a Hydralift on my 40' Dutchstar. The thought for me was to be able to take my Goldwing and a toad. The Hydralift only weighs ~ 300lbs. Most of time I wind up taking the bike and renting a vehicle (depending on destination) if needed. I enjoy the smooth performance of the Hydralift.

It works for me, but I was able to visit with another RV's that had one installed.

I had the coach weight checked w/ bike on board and my particular coach was okay.

Phil

I have a CrusierLift on my 40' HR pusher. I also went with the optional wheel chock to enable me to load and unload it by myself. Don't need wife to hold it while trying to strap it down. Works fine, I can carry either my 1500 Honda GW or the 1300 V-Star and have no dificulities except that you will need to wash it before riding because it get real dirty in just a little rain behind the MH. I use the Tow Vehicle Extension and a tow dolly for my car. I added 2 ratchet tie downs between the Lift and the hitch and of the Tow Extension to add additional stability so the rig doesn't bounce around as much.

Cruiserlift's web site is http://www.cruiserlift.com/ . Before buying the CruiserLift, I looked at the Hydralift and the Blue Ox/Overbuilt Lifts. They are all good systems but the HydraLift will run you about twice as much as the CruiserLift after you get it installed. The CruiserLift can also be easy removed by one person so if you don't want to take a bike on the trip you don't have to carry the lift either

Gary,

If you haven't already resolved this issue, go to http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com and post a similar question, mention that you have a 32 ft Breeze. You'll get more information there than you would think possible!

I suspect that you don't want to put a lift on the back of a Breeze.