ronandanne48858

MI to SC Overnights

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with the campgrounds or staying at Walmarts around Columbus OH and Wytheville VA. We are going to be traveling from MI to Charleston SC and are looking for convenient and safe places to stay on the way down. These will just be overnight stops with a 40' coach and towed vehicle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron

We have not, as yet, passed those areas. I would suggest you take a look on RV Park Reviews and see if campgrounds near those cities have been rated by others. I have found the reviews to be quite accurate in almost every campground we have chosen to stop at.

Here is a link to the site - RV Park Reviews Website

Have a Safe and Enjoyable trip to SC!!!!

When are you leaving? We are heading south next week from London, Ont(near to Port Huron, MI). We are aiming for Piedmont, SC. Any stops we make on the way are not planned. Figure there willbe Flying J or various other truck stops on the way

If you plan on just stopping to sleep, why not stay at Flying J or Walmart? We just returned from Phoenix Arizona to NJ in four days and stopped at these places to recharge our batteries. Just make sure that the Walmart does not have any restrictions. (signs posted) They usually do not have a problem allowing a short stay. Truck stops were fine for us. We pulled in between two tractor trailers a z'd out for seven hours. No problem what so ever. Save your money and put it towards a nice dinner for the both of you! Happy motoring :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have already saved information on all the Walmarts and truck stops along our route south. I had trouble replying to the forum because I changed or FMCA login ID and couldn't figure out how to get back in to reply. I finally figured it out. South Carolina here we come!

post-822-1235955709_thumb.jpg

We stayed at Wytheville, Virginia summer before last and stayed at the Cracker Barrel. It was a pleasant stay and we got to eat breakfast there before leaving. They just ask that you park out back or to the side.

We did stay at a Wal-Mart in Morgantown, WV last summer and had a truck pull in beside us and run his rig all night long and had a nice gasp of air escaping every little bit. It was an ok stay but the next time we will go to the extreme outer part of the parking lot so it will be less likely to have a truck pull up right along side. We didn't get much sleep. I am sure that some Wal-Marts are better than others. The Morgantown one is right off a major interstate and I am sure that it attracts more trucks than others might. I would stay at a Wal-Mart again but make a few changes. This was our first time so I am sure that there are newbe mistakes just like anything else.

I would think that you would have the same problem with running trucks at the Flying J's. There are 2 of those in the Wytheville area. There is a little campground at Ft. Chiswell that is supposed to be nice for an overnight stay. Not a destination CG but nice and clean for overnight. Ft Chiswell RV Park (276) 637-6868, www.fcrvpark.com. They have free wifi too.

There is a large Wal-Mart/Sams club and shopping center off the west side of Columbus, OH (one exit west of the beltway) that might be a nice area to stop at. There are places to eat there as well. It is a busy area during the day but I haven't been there at night. The flying J on the east side is away from town and might not be as congested but the truck activity might be noisy, so take note.

I hope this helps.