Sign in to follow this  
MikeMarie

Batteries for 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D

I just bought a 2008 Jayco Melbourne 29D and the battery tray has only one battery, I was told that it would be better to have two 6 volt batteries in series rather than one 12 volt battery. What is best? The battery tray has space for two batteries.

MikeMarie, Welcome to the Forum. If I understand, you are speaking about your House Battery. If it is time to replace the house battery and you do infact have room 2 six volts in series will give you longer usage. Be sure and purchase Golf Cart Batteries. They a deep cycle and will last longer.

It appears you are new to RVing. Have you joined FMCA? If not it is a wounderful orginazation with lots of great people. You might want to check in to joining a Chapter in your area. You can find them on the FMCA Home Page Areas and Chapters.

Mike,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There are a couple of ways to answer that:

Two 6 VDC batteries in series (i.e. golf cart batteries) are the least expensive way to get deep cycle batteries in the 220+ amp-hr class.

They are no better than a true deep cycle 12 VDC battery of the same amp-hr rating, but you will generally pay more for a 12 VDC one or get a "multi-purpose" battery less suited for deep cycle work. Main reason, there are a LOT of golf cart batteries sold, and they are generally good quality to be able to stand up to golf cart use.

If $ are not the primary consideration, consider AGM batteries-- either 6 or 12 VDC. They are more expensive, but are maintenance free, long lived and do not out-gas except under extreme overcharging. Here is an example of an AGM: http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

Brett

I tried the Lifeline series 6 volt AGM batteries but they would not fit in my battery tray and they don't make any of the size that do. I ended up buying flooded Interstate deep cycle batteries, 2 12 volt that I rigged in parallel so I should now have the power when I need it as well as a longer life of the batteries when boondocking. Thanks for all of your support folks this sort of response is very helpful for a near novice in motor homing.

Mike...